Still using QMac version 6 on an older computer. How to convert ?

louisehr
louisehr Member
Quicken was my first program, and I am still using version 6 on an older computer. Tech support says it no longer supports that version (which can't be used on my newer computer 10.13.6) and the new quicken can't be used on my older Mac. Anyone tried converting this? We are a non-profit and our books from 1994 are in the old version. Perhaps someone has quicken 7 that can convert?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @louisehr  You must get your data into Quicken 2007 -- not Quicken 7 from 1997 -- in order to then import it into the current Quicken Mac. I believe that Quicken 2007, the original 16.0 version, will import a Quicken 6 data file. I can't test this and never tried it myself, but from information I found, I believe the original Quicken 2007 will import anything from Quicken 3 and later.

So on your old Mac running Snow Leopard, if you can get Quicken 2007 installed, make a copy of your Quicken 6 data file and then trying opening it with Quicken 2007. If it works successfully, then you can move that Quicken 2007 data file to the new Mac running High Sierra, install the current Quicken Mac, and tell it to import the Quicken 2007 data file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    When you say "Quicken 6", do you mean "Quicken 2006", or do you mean "Quicken 6" going back to the 1990s? What version of operating system is on your old computer? If you're talking about 2006, we can provide some guidance on the not-easy upgrade path. If you mean a version a decade older than that, I'm not sure if there is a viable upgrade path, but I'll defer to people who have been using Quicken even longer than I.
  • louisehr
    louisehr Member
    This is version 6 from the 90's. It always worked on my older computer, so never upgraded. I just did get the new one, but can't access our financial info that goes back to 1994.
  • louisehr
    louisehr Member
    Also, my older computer is running on 10.6.8. We had a similar issue with filmmaker pro which we used 2 different versions of on our various computers, and because of the virtual shift this year moved up to the web version- very pricey.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    [EDIT] - had updated topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    The current Quicken Mac will still run on macOS High Sierra, but to move to the current Quicken Mac, you'll need to update through at least one intermediate version, and it may be difficult to find.

Quicken 7 came out in late 1996. (I'm amazed to hear that it still runs on Mac OS 10.6.8, which dates to 2011!) It was followed by Quicken 98, and then annual releases from Quicken 2000 through Quicken 2007. 

To get your data into the current Quicken Mac, you will need to get your data updated to Quicken 2007's format. That's the only version Quicken Mac can import. 

Quicken 2007 can import files back to Quicken 3, so you should be able to go from Quicken 7 to Quicken 2007 to current Quicken Mac. (I've never tried this, so I'm saying it should work.)

But there's a wrinkle. The original PowerPC Quicken 2007 (version 16.0 up to 16.0.4) runs on Mac operating systems up to Snow Leopard. The updated Quicken 2007 (version 16.1 or 16.2) -- also known as Quicken 2007 for Lion, Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible, or Quicken 2007 LC --  runs on every Mac operating system up to Mojave. So your new Mac will run the original or updated Quicken 2007. But the updated Quicken 2007 only opens Quicken 2005 or 2006 data files. You need the original (16.0) version of Quicken 2007 in order to open a file back to Quicken 2002 format.

Quicken 2007 isn't readily available, but you can sometimes find an overpriced copy on eBay -- just make sure it's the original (16.0.x) version. (This link purports to provide a download of PowerPC Quicken 2007, but I've never tried it and can't vouch for it.)

• louisehr
    louisehr Member
    Thank you for the link. I am confused though. I have Quicken 6, not 2006. Am I not looking for Quicken 7 to open my quicken 6 data in 7, and then take to the newer computer? Not Quicken 2007? I am aware the Mac architecture change radically in the 2011 computers.
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    @louisehr  You must get your data into Quicken 2007 -- not Quicken 7 from 1997 -- in order to then import it into the current Quicken Mac. I believe that Quicken 2007, the original 16.0 version, will import a Quicken 6 data file. I can't test this and never tried it myself, but from information I found, I believe the original Quicken 2007 will import anything from Quicken 3 and later.

So on your old Mac running Snow Leopard, if you can get Quicken 2007 installed, make a copy of your Quicken 6 data file and then trying opening it with Quicken 2007. If it works successfully, then you can move that Quicken 2007 data file to the new Mac running High Sierra, install the current Quicken Mac, and tell it to import the Quicken 2007 data file.
  • louisehr
    louisehr Member
    IT WORKED!!! I used the link for 2007 version, downloaded, put on older computer, opened the most current file that was in version 6, took on thumb drive to new computer, and it opened and converted. 25 years of financials saved. Thank you for your help.
  • jacobs
    Great! I'm amazed the 2007 program could read the format from a decade before, but it seemed like it might work. I'm also happy to hear that the archived copy someone provided of the original Quicken 2007 application actually works. Welcome to the 21st century! ;)
  • louisehr
    louisehr Member
    Another good hint was that conversion support at Quicken said it might only work with backups which have a different ending, which I hadn't thought to try, so I saved as a backup, and that also helped.
This discussion has been closed.