Credits and debits reversing

Options
Aurora
Aurora Member ✭✭
I am having some of the same problems. In two of my five credit card accounts, charges are reducing my balance and payments or credits to the card are increasing my balances. My two checking accounts are OK. I've never had this problem before.

Answers

• Aurora
    Aurora Member ✭✭
    Options
    Francisco responded to my question about debits and credits being reversed and asked for a screen shot but I cannot figure how to reply to him???
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @Aurora

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to share your issue although, I apologize for the confusion. I have merged your recent post into your older post to help you locate it.

However, I do not yet see a response. If you have screenshots to share with the Community you can drag them to the comment box to post them. This can help members of the Community identify the issue to be able to assist.

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Aurora
    Aurora Member ✭✭
    Options
    See my one credit card screen below. (I couldn't at first figure out how to reply)
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @Aurora

Thank you for the screenshot. What is the overall balance of the account? Is the balance negative or positive? The balance should be a negative amount of a credit card account.

How long have you been experiencing this issue? If you look at the opening balance, the first transaction in the account. Does this number look correct?

The more information you can provide the better able to assist the Community will be.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks like you are running a credit balance. Is the balance in red or black? Look back through your transactions and maybe you'll spot one that was entered backward. Or a payment in the charge column or a charge in the payment column. Look around back where this first started happening.  Or maybe you are missing some charges? 

If the balance is in Black, it means you have a credit on the card.  Like if you overpaid the bill or got a refund for something you returned.   When you enter a charge it will reduce (decrease) the credit you have available on it.   And a payment will increase the balance.

Also make sure you have the right starting balance.  If it's zero you might need to add a beginning balance for when you started the account in Quicken.

The credit card balance you OWE should be in RED. If the balance is Black then it's showing the credit card company owes you and you have a credit balance. And then when you make a payment it's like the cc owes you more. So you need to go back though your entries and find where the balance switched to black to being in your favor.

See this for more info…..

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Aurora
    Aurora Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you. I believe I mistakenly entered a a large credit balance when I opened the account.
This discussion has been closed.