Unable to Direct Connect with Bank of America - All Other States

Quicken Deluxe Ver: R30.1 Build: 27.1.30.10
This worked until a few months ago. Since it stopped working, I've been manually downloading from the bank's site. But something is broken, so...
1. Edit Account Details > Online Services > Activate One Step Update
2. I enter my online ID and password.
3. Quicken connects to BofA and then says the bank needs more info.
4. I select the Text my cell option, get the code from BofA, and enter it.
5. Quicken says - "Oops. There's a connection problem (CC-502). Please try again later."
This happens exactly same way, time after time, every time I try it. There CAN'T be 'a connection problem' since Q already contacted the bank when it told me the bank needed more info.
I realize the problem could be on the bank's end, but I have to start somewhere, so...
Can anybody help?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @paul_jr

Thank you for the response and for the additional details.

An "It's not your fault" error will require a contact to support for a review of the log files and possible escalation to resolve.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

When contacting support, be sure to let me know how long you have been receiving this error.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @ajjmarino

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That is odd as the error you're getting is an error with express web connect rather than direct connect. I'm wondering if we may not have the option selected when connecting. 

An easy way to check would be to try connecting the accounts again and typing in your credentials. Once you've typed them in hold CTRL + Shift On your keyboard and click connect. This should have a little line appear below the credentials that you can check off to make sure you have direct connect selected. From there try again to connect.

Once you've done this let us know if anything goes different.  It may appear with a different error than the 502 and if you do try logging into BOA's website and seeing if you have a prompt to allow connection to quicken when you sign in. It could be right when you log in or also in your bank messages. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Bank of America has end of lifed support for Quicken Direct Connect for new users. My guess is that they've started investing so little money and time in the Direct Connect function that it's now broken for existing users as well. I doubt it will be back soon. Their people are saying that all Bank of America users should to switch to Express Web Connect or Web Connect.

Please see this page on the Bank of America web site: https://www.bankofamerica.com/online-banking/online-financial-management-faqs/

"Please note: Quicken DirectConnect is no longer supported for new users. You can easily download information from Online Banking to Quicken using Web Connect."
  • darkstar
    darkstar Member
    edited December 2020
    I concur. Quicken team: it seems like more and more financial institutions are killing off Direct Connect. That's a concern, since Web Connect seems to be so imprecise.

What is the method that [Removed] use? Do they use a screen scraper like Web Connect? Or is there a newer, standard API that Quicken could be using?
  • paul_jr
    paul_jr Member ✭✭
    My copy of Quicken tells me that I can improve my connection to BofA for my Visa account by using a so-called Direct Connection. When I try to switch to a direct connection, it always fails. The error says: "Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)"

What's the deal? Please give me trouble shooting tips? Can you please improve the error message?
  • paul_jr
    paul_jr Member ✭✭
    Does anyone have any updates on this? My copy of quicken for windows says that my connection to BofA can be improved, and when I try to switch to Direct Connect, quicken fails with the error: "Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)"
  • RA Moats
    RA Moats Member ✭✭
    Paul_jr ... EXACTLY !!!
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @paul_jr

Thank you for the response and for the additional details.

An "It's not your fault" error will require a contact to support for a review of the log files and possible escalation to resolve.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

When contacting support, be sure to let me know how long you have been receiving this error.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The FI known as "Bank of America-All Other States" continues to provide Direct Connect to those customers who are grandfathered in by virtue of having had it for a long time. I run it every day and it works fine for me.
    Quicken thinks you can improve your connection from EWC to DC because its data correctly shows B of A supports DC. But unless you already have DC, you cannot add it due to bank policy.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• paul_jr
    paul_jr Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka This problem is very reproducible for me. I just got it for the first time this morning as I was trying to get an alternative to the VERY BUGGY web connect.
  • MintUserNew
    MintUserNew Member ✭✭✭
    I am having this problem quite a bit. I depend on Quicken so am very unhappy with the 2 Bank of america cards I now have.
  • josie
    josie Member ✭✭
    I believe I have the answer to this.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    josie said:
    I believe I have the answer to this.
    Don't leave us hanging! What is the answer?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Dave1957
    Dave1957 Member ✭✭
    SOLVED! CC-502 Error kept coming when trying to add BofA new account. Said invalid user name and passcode. Instead of clicking the BofA icon under the "+" add new account, I typed in the full "Bank of America" and got a drop down list of all their banks. I choose "Bank of America Credit card" and both my debit and credit card accounts appeared after a week of no joy. Fixed for me. Quicken has frustrated me since the 1990's.
This discussion has been closed.