I want to use Quicken 2017 on both my computers, difference accounts

Lizah
Lizah Member
I am trying to add my Quicken 2017 Mac CD on a laptop. No CD slot and I don't know my activation code.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You reference two computers. Is Quicken 2017 on the other computer, and you want to install it on your laptop? If so, you can ignore the CD and simply copy the Quicken 2017 application in your Application folder to the other computer. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Lizah
    Lizah Member
    Yes, Quicken 2017 is on the iMac and wanting to install on the laptop. I do not have the two computers synced and I am unsure at the steps to get the folder from the iMac to the Mac laptop.
  • jacobs
    You can move any file/folder between two Macs in any of several ways.
    • One easy way is to use a flash drive, if you have one handy; plug into computer A, copy the file to the flash drive, unmount the drive and move it to computer B, and copy the file front he flash drive to the computer's hard drive.
    • If the computers are near each other, using AirDrop is fast and easy. Control-click on the file you want to copy, select Share > AirDrop from the pop-up menu, and select the other machine when it shows up.
    • Compress (.zip) the file for safety and email it you yourself; from the other computer, log into your email and download the file attachment.
    • Turn on file sharing on one computer, so you can connect to it from the other computer. This probably isn't worth it for a one-time transfer, but can be useful if you need to pass files back and forth more frequently.
    In order to use Quicken 2017, all you need to move is the Quicken 2017.app in the Applications folder. Some other ancillary files will be created as needed on the other machine when you first launch the program. 

Then there's the question of the data you want to use on the other computer. You said "different accounts" above, but we need to dig into that a bit to understand your intentions. An account in Quicken is the same as a physical account in the real world: a checking account, a credit card account, a loan account, etc.  Most people have multiple accounts in the real world and in Quicken, but one Quicken data file which contains all their accounts. The data file is the physical file on your computer, ending with the .quicken2017 extension.

Do you want to have two different data files, one on each computer? These would be completely separate and not share any data. You might do this if you manage the bookkeeping for a small non-profit, or if you and your significant other keep completely separate records.

Or do you want to have one data file which contains different accounts for you and your significant other, so that you can both update your own accounts but all the accounts are together in the same file? This scenario gets a little trickier, because you need to move the single data file back and forth between the two computers. There are effective ways to do this, and also some dangers to avoid, that we can go into if this is what you're trying to do. Alternatively, you might find that keeping the data file on one computer and using the mobile app or web interface so the other person can enter transactions might be all you need. So please post again and describe hat you're trying to accomplish for advice on how to best proceed.

• Lizah
    Lizah Member
    Sorry for the radio silence. I have been working on the steps in the evenings you have given me.
    Thank you for very detailed information as you have explained them quite simply. I have been trying to use the AirDrop since it should be fast & easy. For reasons I can't seem to figure out; why the AirDrop is not working as seamlessly as I had hoped.... I have tried all the tricks of shutting off Wi-Fi & Bluetooth and turning back on. Restarting the computers, etc, etc. The macbook is not seeing the iMac and I have the AirDrop set to see everyone. Didn't think I was this illiterate at this, obviously not needing to do these types of things very often.
    I do not want the share the files back & forth.
    Yes, I want have different data files and you are correct as I am managing the bookkeeping for a small non-profit and do not want my personal records with the non-profits. I really do appreciate your knowledge and help.
  • Lizah
    Lizah Member
    Maybe I can't use AirDrop with a iMac 2011 with macOS Sierra to MacBook Pro with macOS Catalina. On the Macbk Pro in the AirDrop window, it does not give me the option "Don't see who you are looking for" to select search for older Mac. Grr... Technology is so frustrating!
  • Lizah
    Lizah Member
    Oh my gosh..... I believe I was able to use your compress file idea and I think it is going to work!!!
    You are the best!
    Not for this particular program, but I would still like to get the AirDrop to work.... Hopefully I can figure that out so I can use it. Thanks again for your detailed information.
  • jacobs
    I have varied success with AirDrop myself. I have my iMac and an iMac from work setting side-by-side on my desk at home, and sometimes they show up for each other in AirDrop, and sometimes they inexplicably do not. Yesterday was one of those "not" mysteries, and I ended up doing AirDrop from my home iMac to my phone, and from the phone to the work iMac; for some unknown reason, both computers saw the iPhone but didn't see each other. I just tested it now, and they both see each other. I don't know what magic is necessary to make it work all the time. When they refuse to cooperate, I either use a flash drive or email the documents to myself.
  • Lizah
    Lizah Member
    Emailing worked like a charm. I question myself why I worked so long at trying the AirDrop. :( Always worth a try but need to learn to move on to the next option and try it another day like you mentioned. Thank you for your expertise.
  • Lizah
    Lizah Member
    Can you give me a little insight on how I can successfully transfer Quicken data files from a pc (Quicken 2010 Windows) to my MacBook? I have copied the data files to a usb thumb drive from the pc-Quicken program and when I try to take those data files from the thumb drive to the Quicken 2017 on my Macbook, Quicken is grayed out. Won't allow me to add the data files. I am stumped. The thumb drive also will not show under the devices in Finder. What am I not thinking of? I have tried to think of everything before reaching out. Appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to convert the Windows data file.  Post on converting from Windows to Mac.  It has links to support articles

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7869552/if-i-purchase-quicken-for-mac-can-i-convert-the-data-saved-from-quicken-for-windows

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• jacobs
    Can you copy your Quicken Windows data file from the flash drive to your Mac desktop? If so: Launch Quicken 2017 on your Mac. Select File > New. Select "Start from a Quicken Windows file".  Select your Windows data file. Quicken Mac will convert it and open your data.

If your Mac can't read the flash drive at all, then you're going to need to find another way to move your data file from the Windows computer to the Mac. You could try re-formatting the flash drive and copying the file to it again. Or you could try emailing it to yourself.
  • Lizah
    Lizah Member
    When I follow the steps above I keep getting the message asking if I want to use Quicken Cloud to import the Quicken windows file and then it tells me my connected services have expired. It gives me no other option to bypass. Then sends me to an internet window to upgrade which I do not want to do. Any suggestions on how to bypass and get my data?
  • jacobs
    @Lizah  Hmmm, that's interesting. In October 2019,  Quicken moved the Quicken Mac import converter for both Quicken Windows and the legacy Quicken 2007 for Mac from inside the program to a server-based process. It was necessitated by the most recent Mac operating systems being unable to run the old 32-bit code in those converters.

I wasn't originally thinking that they modified Quicken 2017 to use that server-based converter, but because Quicken 2017 was still supported at that time (until April 2020), but it's obvious they did. And I was unaware that they blocked this for expired users; because file conversions are part of Quicken's online services, and online services for Quicken 2017 ended in April 2020, you can't do the conversion. I'm sorry I wasn't aware of this when I listed the steps to do the conversion above. 

Unfortunately, that seems to mean you cannot do file conversions in Quicken 2017 any more. I can think of only three possible paths forward, unless anyone else chimes in with other thoughts:
    1. Find a copy of Quicken 2017 from prior to October 2019. I believe this would be prior to about version 4.6.5, but I can't find exactly which release happened when from back then. This will be tricky; you'd basically need to find someone who has an older version of Quicken 2017. (Finding a Quicken 2017 installation CD is unlikely to work, because the application they put on the CD immediately goes to Quicken.com and downloads the latest version.) Even then, I'm not certain this will work, because Quicken 2017 would "check with home base" to download the latest converter tool, and I'm not sure whether it's still available to download from a Quicken server or would fail.
    2. If you still have your Windows machine, export your Quicken data as a QXF file in Quicken Windows, and import the QXF file in Quicken Mac.
    3. Purchase a current subscription so you can utilize converter. This has the significant advantage of more than three years of enhancements and fixes to the Quicken Mac software over the 2017 version you have, but of course carries a cost.
  • Lizah
    Lizah Member
    That is why I was unable to convert the windows data to my Quicken 2017. I do still have the windows machine and had originally exported to a QDF file. Maybe that is why it initially didn't work. So if I export the data to a QXF file, I will still have to purchase a subscription to convert the data? I was really hoping to avoid the subscription with having the Quicken 2017. I am concerned with my device being older that going forward the software will not be compatible. No other way to convert my files? I am no where near a programmer but usually can follow directions from those who can walk me through. :) What a dilemma!
  • jacobs
    A QDF file is your Quicken Windows data file. This requires the Quicken converter to import into Quicken Mac. 

A QXF file is a file exchange format which was originally created for users of the prior generation Quicken Essentials for Mac to move their data to Quicken Windows. While it still exists, it does not move all investment data because Quicken Essentials didn't track investments. Quicken Windows can export QXF data which can be imported into Quicken Mac, but investment account transactions and position balances are not . The only data exported is Checking, Savings, Credit Card, Asset, and Liability accounts and transactions. Investment accounts are also exported, but investment account transactions and position balances are not included. So this may not be a satisfactory solution. Additionally, you mentioned that you are running Quicken Windows 2010, and I'm guessing that version doesn't even have QXF export. 

Unless others here can suggest alternatives, your only path forward may be to get the current Quicken Mac in order to import your Quicken Windows data file.
  • Lizah
    Lizah Member
    Thank you for your insight. Basically checking & savings are what is being utilized in Quicken. No investments are being tracked through Quicken. That is why I was just wanting to use what I had. Thank you again for all of your information! I do appreciate all!
This discussion has been closed.