Online balance not updating in one step update but does update one account at a time

Using Quicken Deluxe for Windows on Windows 10, both up to date.
I use One Step update a lot. For some time now I noticed it does not update the online balance of credit and bank accounts. Transactions etc update, but not the online balance. However, if I go to each account and use update now, the online balance updates. This is for ALL my credit and banking accounts. Not really up for deactivate and reactivate ALL my acounts, especially when it appears that may/may no work (garnered from other posts).
Any ideas on this?
Thanks

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This problem has been reported several times in other threads and exactly how you describe.  As of now Quicken Inc hasn't acknowledged the bug let alone fix it.  Note that this is only happening in Express Web Connect accounts and is most likely due to the recent change where QCS (Quicken Connection services/cloud sync) is now in the middle of the process.
    Old:
    Quicken -> Intuit server -> financial institution's website
    New:
    Quicken -> QCS -> Intuit server -> financial institution's website

About the only two workarounds would be to do as you have done and use Update Now from the account register or switch to doing reconciles with online balances to using "paper statement" where you can put in the correct date and balance.

What you definitely don't want to do is any kind of "troubleshooting" that involves deactivating/reactivating your accounts.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • FireMist
    FireMist Member ✭✭
    It is happening on all accounts, not just the Express accounts. It crashes whether it's trying to update all, or just one account. The only way I've been able to load my banking is by going to the bank's website and downloading the file, then importing it. I'm using: R33.19 from the Most recent download 5/14/21 12PM
  • FireMist
    FireMist Member ✭✭
    PS. I've given it a couple weeks doing all the steps suggested in response to my complaint and help request. I'm done.
    I'm going full time with Quick books.
  • Monte Kern
    Monte Kern Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > This problem has been reported several times in other threads and exactly how you describe.  As of now Quicken Inc hasn't acknowledged the bug let alone fix it.  Note that this is only happening in Express Web Connect accounts and is most likely due to the recent change where QCS (Quicken Connection services/cloud sync) is now in the middle of the process.
    > Old:
    > Quicken -> Intuit server -> financial institution's website
    > New:
    > Quicken -> QCS -> Intuit server -> financial institution's website
    >
    > About the only two workarounds would be to do as you have done and use Update Now from the account register or switch to doing reconciles with online balances to using "paper statement" where you can put in the correct date and balance.
    >
    > What you definitely don't want to do is any kind of "troubleshooting" that involves deactivating/reactivating your accounts.

Thanks. I'll just ride it out for a while and see if they fix it. I suspected as much, nice to know my gut was right.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting about all the accounts.  I'm not seeing this in all of my accounts.  Mine are all Direct Connect except for one, which is still using the old system for Express Web Connect.  I figure when it gets forced to the new I will just go to manual entry for that one.

Since Direct Connect doesn't have the "sync" it is Quicken -> Financial institution's OFX server, it shouldn't have that problem.  So I have no idea at this point why yours would be different.
    Signature:
  • Monte Kern
    Monte Kern Member ✭✭
    Chris
    Thanks for the info regarding the different web connect methods. All of my connections save one are on Express Web Connect. Now I'm not sure if that one on Direct Connect was updating the online balance correctly or not and no new transactions right now to test it. I'll watch for it after the next update with new transactions.
    I'm showing my lack of experience with this part of Q (Web EX vs Direct), but I never paid any attention to which was which. I naively assumed Q "knew" what was right and took care of it for me. Heck, that's part of the reason I use Q so I don't have to mess with the techy computer stuff and can just do my record-keeping thing. Guess I need to educate myself on the different connection methods and see what I can learn and change.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Monte
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK that makes a lot more sense.  If the online balance is incorrect for Direct Connect it is the financial institution's problem.  With Express Web Connect there are a lot more "players" in the picture where it can go wrong.

What's more it is a lot easier to check if Quicken did the right thing with Direct Connect.  You can look at the OFX log which has exactly what the financial institution sent.  And therefore verify that what Quicken shows is the same as what is in the log.
    Signature:
  • Monte Kern
    Monte Kern Member ✭✭
    Chris
    Thanks for that. So, what determines the connection method? The financial institution? Or, can I choose in Quicken. Sorry to sound so inept, but I have never really looked at this process in Q. I just accepted whatever Q specified. Am I stuck with these connection methods, or can I change them?
    Thanks for your patience and help
    Monte
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry about the question, I'm glad to help.

It is what the financial institution will support.  Some might give you a choice others will only be Express Web Connect.   Note though all investment accounts are either Direct Connect or Web Connect (downloading and importing a QFX file from the financial institution).  Express Web Connect doesn't support investment accounts.

Some financial institutions will charge a fee for Direct Connect.

There are about 15,000+ financial institution supported using Express Web Connect, but only about 2,500 support Direct Connect.

This file gives what each support:
    https://ofx-prod-filist.intuit.com/qw2800/data/fidir.txt

But can be a bit hard to read look for your financial institution and then if it has EXP-WEB-CONNECT or/and DIRECT.

In some cases it might be a bit tricky because depending on what financial institution name you use you get different choices.  Like using Citibank you only get Express Web Connect, but using "Citi Cards" you can get both as a choice (where Direct Connect is of course preferred, but you might have to go into the Advanced option while setting it up and you also have to enable it on their website).  And of course this is only for their credit cards not the bank accounts.
    Signature:
  • Monte Kern
    Monte Kern Member ✭✭
    Chris
    Thanks for the great reply. Looks like only one of my accounts/institutions supports Direct. I'll have to keep using update now for each account until Q fixes this. Actually, I use one-step update most of the time and just occasionally use the update now for each account to update the online balances. At least I understand what's going on now.
    Thanks again and have a great weekend.
    Monte
  • rolanddawson2500
    rolanddawson2500 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am having a similar problem. One step update gives me an error on one account, but will update if I use the update for the account directly. HOWEVER, it is reporting bad information (price per share) on random holdings, both in bonds and stocks. This problem started about a month ago, but is getting progressively worse. First it was a single stock, now it has spread to stocks, bonds, and funds. Today, thee were about a dozen stocks/bonds with prices that did not agree with accounts. Bad timing, my subscription is running out next month, and the ability to download accurate prices is main reason for having subscription.
  • Using the latest Quicken Windows Deluxe subscription version and just came across the problem of account balance not updating. I'm a retired techie and spent 1/2 hour researching this online and finally found an "action" to update my account balance. This displays a dialog showing the balance but does not enter into my account. The dialog allows me to transcribe the balance into an edit box, click done and it there it is, done.
    Why so complicated?
    Why not do what it's supposed to do automatically. Its' supposed to be one-step.
    Feel better now it's off my chest!!!
    Response from Quicken would be appreciated,
  • gierdo
    gierdo Member ✭✭
    I started experiencing this a few weeks ago and now it is affecting most, if not all of my banking accounts. Not sure about investment accounts.

One way to get the account balance to update is to download transactions directly from your bank's website. With a recent balance date, the cleared transactions will show in the reconcile window and the reconciliation process will proceed as normal. Please Support Staff - can you tell us why this is happening and if there is a way to resolve it?