Ending Balance?

widomj@
widomj@ Member ✭✭
Is there a way to show "Ending Balance" in the check register with Quicken for Mac?

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    It sounds like you're looking for what in QMac is called "Projected Balance". That's the last future balance in the register. In the upper right corner, where it currently shows Online or Today's Balance, click on that label and you can change it to Projected Balance.

For this display to be meaningful, it also depends on showing future scheduled transactions in the register. If you have future scheduled transactions that are not marked as paid, you can choose how to display them in the register by clicking the tiny clock icon at top right just below the balance display. Here you can choose to show the next scheduled transaction or those for various time periods. The Projected Balance display takes into account whichever scheduled transactions you have chosen to display.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • widomj@
    widomj@ Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Oh. That makes sense. No intuitive. I’ll test later today. Thank you.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for. Typically, the register has a running Balance column, and a "today line" which separates past from future transactions. The "current balance" is the number in the Balance column just below the colored line. Also, the number in the upper right of the register is the current balance unless you set it to show the future balance. What do you mean by "ending balance"?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • widomj@
    widomj@ Member ✭✭
    There are three balances in Quicken for Windows: Online, Current, and Ending balance.

Where is “Ending Balance” in Quicken for Mac?
  • widomj@
    widomj@ Member ✭✭
    Example: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849752/current-balance-online-balance-and-ending-balance-not-matching-need-help-troubleshooting
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    "Ending balance" is a term you'd use with a statement or bank reconciliation, not for an account register. What would an "ending balance" be on an active checking account? I'm just not sure what you're looking for.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • widomj@
    widomj@ Member ✭✭
    Do you use Quicken for Windows?

I use the Ending Balance to budget for my food and gas. I set aside $##.## each month and then have a check in the register that is in 2080. As I spend on food, I deduct from that entry. Every 2 weeks I replenish that entry.

The Ending Balance shows me what I have at the end knowing I have money set aside.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    It sounds like you're looking for what in QMac is called "Projected Balance". That's the last future balance in the register. In the upper right corner, where it currently shows Online or Today's Balance, click on that label and you can change it to Projected Balance.

For this display to be meaningful, it also depends on showing future scheduled transactions in the register. If you have future scheduled transactions that are not marked as paid, you can choose how to display them in the register by clicking the tiny clock icon at top right just below the balance display. Here you can choose to show the next scheduled transaction or those for various time periods. The Projected Balance display takes into account whichever scheduled transactions you have chosen to display.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • widomj@
    widomj@ Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Oh. That makes sense. No intuitive. I’ll test later today. Thank you.
  • widomj@
    widomj@ Member ✭✭
    RickO - Getting closer.

I found the Projected Balance option, but it does not match the Ending Balance in my Windows file. The delta between the two balances is significant and I can't find a check that matches the difference.

Note: I imported the Windows file by selecting "Yes" when asked if I wanted to use "Quicken Cloud" for the import.
  • widomj@
    widomj@ Member ✭✭
    OOOOH!!! I see something very interesting. Quicken for Mac also shows the projected bills for the future. They're greyed out.

I disabled the show reminders and the balances now match. Thank you!!
This discussion has been closed.