Is there a way to view the aggregate average annual return of all securities combined?

Options
In Investing -> Portfolio, I'm able to see the average annual return for each security and for each account, but I can't figure out how to see the average annual return for all the securities/accounts combined. Is there a way to see that number? Thank you!

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The number in the Totals row at the bottom of the Investing > Portfolio view should be what you are looking for. This should be the same regardless of whether the view is grouped by security or by account.

The report at Reports > Investing > Investment Performance is the "gold standard" for performance reporting. Set the date range for Last 12 months to see 1-year ARR. and Don't subtotal to see your overall performance. This report is interesting because it shows the inputs to the IRR calculation. Its results should be the same as  Excel's XIRR function for the same time period.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • PotatoPea
    PotatoPea Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you so much, @Jim_Harman! This is super helpful! I checked the Investment Performance report and can now see the inputs to the IRR calculation. And this revealed a new problem - Only one type of my account transactions is included as input in the Investment Performance report and all other transactions are missing.

The Investment Performance report only includes transactions labeled "Cash" in the "Action" column of the Investment Performance report. The Cash action includes bank interest payments, cash transfers to and from external sources, and other Deposit/Withdraw activities. All my Bought, Sold, Div, ReinvDiv activities that do show up on my Quicken account register are not included in the Investment Performance report.

I checked the gear button on the top right of the Investment Performance report, and everything is selected under "Securities", "Security Types", and "Investing Goals", so I can't figure out what's going wrong.

Thanks for your help!
  • Jim_Harman
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Those transactions are not shown in the IPR because they do not affect the result. The key phrase in your description is "to and from external sources." The impact of the "missing" internal transactions is included in the ending value.

The default report settings of all accounts, all securities, and no subtotals is like drawing a circle around all your investing accounts: Only the transactions that cross that boundary and the opening and closing balances affect the overall IRR.

For example, say you had an account that started a 12 month period with $1000 in cash and no securities. Then part way through the period you use all the cash to buy a security and its value goes up to $1100. The purchase transaction is not shown because it is like moving the money from one pocket to another. The impact of the purchase is included in the ending value.

The beginning value is $1000 and the ending value is $1100 for an IRR of just under 10% - not exactly 10% because of daily compounding in the IRR calculation.

If you subtotal the report by security, you will see most of the transactions that are missing when you look at your investments as a whole. 

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The number in the Totals row at the bottom of the Investing > Portfolio view should be what you are looking for. This should be the same regardless of whether the view is grouped by security or by account.

The report at Reports > Investing > Investment Performance is the "gold standard" for performance reporting. Set the date range for Last 12 months to see 1-year ARR. and Don't subtotal to see your overall performance. This report is interesting because it shows the inputs to the IRR calculation. Its results should be the same as  Excel's XIRR function for the same time period.
  • PotatoPea
    PotatoPea Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you so much, @Jim_Harman! This is super helpful! I checked the Investment Performance report and can now see the inputs to the IRR calculation. And this revealed a new problem - Only one type of my account transactions is included as input in the Investment Performance report and all other transactions are missing.

The Investment Performance report only includes transactions labeled "Cash" in the "Action" column of the Investment Performance report. The Cash action includes bank interest payments, cash transfers to and from external sources, and other Deposit/Withdraw activities. All my Bought, Sold, Div, ReinvDiv activities that do show up on my Quicken account register are not included in the Investment Performance report.

I checked the gear button on the top right of the Investment Performance report, and everything is selected under "Securities", "Security Types", and "Investing Goals", so I can't figure out what's going wrong.

Thanks for your help!
  • Jim_Harman
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Those transactions are not shown in the IPR because they do not affect the result. The key phrase in your description is "to and from external sources." The impact of the "missing" internal transactions is included in the ending value.

The default report settings of all accounts, all securities, and no subtotals is like drawing a circle around all your investing accounts: Only the transactions that cross that boundary and the opening and closing balances affect the overall IRR.

For example, say you had an account that started a 12 month period with $1000 in cash and no securities. Then part way through the period you use all the cash to buy a security and its value goes up to $1100. The purchase transaction is not shown because it is like moving the money from one pocket to another. The impact of the purchase is included in the ending value.

The beginning value is $1000 and the ending value is $1100 for an IRR of just under 10% - not exactly 10% because of daily compounding in the IRR calculation.

If you subtotal the report by security, you will see most of the transactions that are missing when you look at your investments as a whole. 
  • PotatoPea
    PotatoPea Member ✭✭
    Options
    I see. Thank you very much for your explanation!