Backup to external drive works but shows error messages. Why?

scottyrick
scottyrick Member ✭✭
First of all, the backup to my external hard drive works just fine. I have learned to ignore error messages; first stating that the file cannot be backup-up, and secondly that it did not back-up. Neither of these are actually true! These fake messages just started to appear after the next-to-last Quicken update. Can you find the error in the next-to-last Quicken update and fix this? Thanks.
Quicken Deluxe Subscription

Best Answer

• scottyrick
    scottyrick Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    File validated. Several minor transaction errors corrected. Backup of validated file shows same error.
    Thanks to both of you for your help.
    These fake error messages are annoying but not important. I will ignore them for the time being.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming that there isn't interference from another third-party backup software product which is trying to grab the data file as soon as Quicken closes it, error messages like the ones you stated typically indicate a problem with the active data file. To resolve, please do the following:

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's do some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order. Crashes or killing Quicken may damage the file.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified, even if you have done some of them before:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all, the backup to my external hard drive works just fine.
    Well - if you are receiving an Error msg vs a Warning - I'm not so sure things are fine....
    What is the message you receive ?
    It would be interesting to try and open one of the those files - JUST DO NOT OVERLAY YOUR LIVE FILE

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• scottyrick
    scottyrick Member ✭✭
    Error 1: Unable to create the destination data file.
    Error 2: File NOT backed up.

I checked you suggestion. Restores work just fine, thankfully.
  • scottyrick
    scottyrick Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    File validated. Several minor transaction errors corrected. Backup of validated file shows same error.
    These fake error messages are annoying but not important. I will ignore them for the time being.
  • scottyrick
    scottyrick Member ✭✭
    Forgot to mention. No backup program running in background on computer. Rebooted computer several times after Windows updates. No change in result. Still fake error messages.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you follow the entire Troubleshooting 101 process, top to bottom?
    If you did and the errors persist, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

This discussion has been closed.