There are some old 'categories' that I'd like to delete when I am entering transactions in register

Any ways to remove old categories/sub-categories? I have a number of them when entering a transaction in a register.

Best Answer

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    You can open the Category window by pressing Shift-Command-C (it's also available from the Window menu). Quicken will warn you if there are any transactions using that category. There's also an option at the bottom of the Category window to have it only show unused categories which you may find useful.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

Answers

• Jon
    Answer ✓
    You can open the Category window by pressing Shift-Command-C (it's also available from the Window menu). Quicken will warn you if there are any transactions using that category. There's also an option at the bottom of the Category window to have it only show unused categories which you may find useful.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jon said:

This question was posted in a Mac thread ... and you've provided a Win response ... which doesn't help the OP.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jon
    edited May 2021
    NotACPA said:

This question was posted in a Mac thread ... and you've provided a Win response ... which doesn't help the OP.
    It's not a Win response, it's a Mac response (I've been using Quicken for Mac for over 20 years now). The Command key is the one with the cloverleaf symbol on it. Some Mac keyboards (including the one on my MacBook Pro) have both the cloverleaf symbol and Command printed on that key. AFAIK, it's common to refer to that as the Command key rather than try to find a way to type a cloverleaf symbol.
    I think most Mac users will understand what I meant.
    I believe the equivalent keyboard shortcut on Windows is Shift-Ctrl-C.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You can delete a category by selecting it in the Categories window and clicking the minus sign at the bottom (menu Window > Categories). However, any transactions used by that category will become uncategorized.

If you have a category that's been used before, but not currently being used and you don't want to see it in the list, but also don't want to delete it, then unfortunately, there's now way to hide categories in QMac (yet). The suggested workaround is to rename the category to start with a "z" so it sorts to the bottom of the list, out of the way. I.e., change category "JunkFood" to "zJunkFood".
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Jon
    Good grief this forum software is annoying. Why provide an edit option if you're just going to punish people for using it by throwing their posts into moderation?

• Jon
    NotACPA said:

My previous reply is probably AWOL until sometime tomorrow. The short version is you've confused Shift-Command-C on the Mac with Shift-Control-C on Windows. The reply I gave is appropriate for the Mac.

• BobbytheCee
    BobbytheCee Member
    Thanks to Jon I was able to fix my problem. While his reply mentioned a Windows OS it worked just fine on my Mac OS
This discussion has been closed.