Gifting shares - how to note the recipient?

Options
sue.estey
sue.estey Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
When I transfer shares of an investment to a person or organization, I want to record the recipient somewhere in the Quicken transaction. I have succeeded in editing the Memo/Notes for a transaction in March 2021, but not for the same type of transaction in December 2020. That field is populated from my download from Vanguard.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Sue,

While the "Memo" field (which I am assuming is the "field that is populated from my download from Vanguard") may have information in it as a result of your download, that does no mean the you cannot change or edit it.  You should be able to enter any information that you'd like in that field.  Let me know if this doesn't address your concerns.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Sue,

While the "Memo" field (which I am assuming is the "field that is populated from my download from Vanguard") may have information in it as a result of your download, that does no mean the you cannot change or edit it.  You should be able to enter any information that you'd like in that field.  Let me know if this doesn't address your concerns.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• sue.estey
    sue.estey Member ✭✭
    Options
    As noted, I did edit that field once. Today, I am unable to edit that field. Maybe the recent upgrade changed something? Are you a person with power to fix it or do you know how to raise this issue I am having to someone who can help?
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "As noted, I did edit that field once. Today, I am unable to edit that field. "
    That is very, very strange as the Memo field always should be able to be edited.  What happens when you go into that field, type something, (or attempt to type something), and hit Enter?
    One thing that you might try is to note all the information in the downloaded entry, delete the entry, and then enter it manually with the same information, except for the Memo field.
    I'm certainly not aware of an update not allowing for the editing of the Memo field.  What release are you on?   (Help > About Quicken.)

• sue.estey
    sue.estey Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Deluxe for Mac version 6.2.1 (Build 602.38957.100)
    macOS 10.15.7
    I just solved my problem. I had been trying to edit the Memo/Notes field in the top line that displays in the list of transactions. I often edit transactions there, but investment transactions have a different format.
    Duh.
    I can easily edit the Memo field when I expand the entry and type into the Memo field at the bottom of the transaction window.
    Thank you for your attention!
    Sue
This discussion has been closed.