MAMAW Member ✭✭
I am unable to complete backup

Answers

• MAMAW
    MAMAW Member ✭✭
    Please help!
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • MAMAW
    MAMAW Member ✭✭
    I use OneDrive as well as an external drive
  • MAMAW
    MAMAW Member ✭✭
    E:\Quicken - Janis Backups\Janis Quicken - Restored 04.27.2020 as of 04.10 Backup-2021-06-03.QDF-backup
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your Quicken data file is stored in a OneDrive folder, you need to pause OneDrive before using Quicken. With OneDrive active, it updates the Quicken file when you exit which doesn't allow Quicken to before a backup. Also, I asked about the path to your Quicken data file, not the backup.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Can't open source file" occurs because OneDrive grabs the live Quicken data file as soon as Quicken temporarily closes it before starting its own internal backup process. For a data file backup to be valid, all updates must have been written back to disk and the file closed before the backup process can begin. Otherwise the backup copy may not be restorable or contain structural inconsistencies causing loss of data.
    Configure OneDrive to NOT access the folder where your live Quicken data file resides (usually C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken).
    Let OneDrive access either the Manual Backup folder or the Automatic Backup folder and copy that file off to the OneDrive server.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:

Configure OneDrive to NOT access the folder where your live Quicken data file resides (usually C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken).
    You can't configure OneDrive to backup your Documents, but not Documents\Quicken. And given the importance of backing up the Documents the best choice is just move your data file to another location.  I Personally use C:\Quicken.

MAMAW said:
    E:\Quicken - Janis Backups\Janis Quicken - Restored 04.27.2020 as of 04.10 Backup-2021-06-03.QDF-backup
    Is the path to the data file?
    It seems more like the path to the backup file.

The path that is important is where the data file that Quicken is opening is stored, not as much the path of where the backup is stored.  The backup path can be in OneDrive or basically anywhere you like.

It is the data file that you are using that shouldn't be in such a path.
    If you look at the File menu, the path to your data file will be at the bottom of that menu.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.