Why isn't it possible for Quicken to Update All Quicken [Data Files] Automatically?

Why do I have to go to all book sets other than the selected default and run a "One Step Update" daily? It is a waste of my time.
Tagged:

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you asking about Quicken or QuickBooks?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • AlaskanRogue
    AlaskanRogue Member ✭✭
    Quicken...
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is a "Quicken Book Set"?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    By "Quicken book set" do you actually mean a Quicken data file?  The term that you used has no meaning in Q.
    AND, if you are actually referring to having multiple  Q data files, I wouldn't WANT Q to update them all at once. Some are for testing only and some are no longer used and I wouldn't want the waste of time waiting for them to update.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• AlaskanRogue
    AlaskanRogue Member ✭✭
    edited June 2021
    I have four different .QDF files for that I maintain, each having a number of different bank accounts connected. They represent different aspects of my life for reporting and taxation purposes.
  • AlaskanRogue
    AlaskanRogue Member ✭✭
    edited June 2021
    A setting per .ODF could be created to control updating.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's easy, in Q, to have multiple bank accounts set up in a single QDF.
    Likewise, judicious application of the various filters in Q's reporting function can select only certain accounts, or categories for inclusion in any report, including the tax reports.
    In short, you've overly complicated your situation by creating multiple QDF for yourself.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A setting per .ODF could be created to control updating.
    Such a setting exists. Go to Tools > Schedule Updates... in each QDF file.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• AlaskanRogue
    AlaskanRogue Member ✭✭
    edited June 2021
    @Rocket J Squirrel The problem with your suggestion which I have tried before is
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the data files are reported on the same tax return they should be in a single data file.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• AlaskanRogue
    AlaskanRogue Member ✭✭
    @NotACPA I already have multiple bank accounts in each QDF. I don't want to create custom reporting when there are already numerous templates available that I can use without the effort that are fine.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel The problem with your suggestion which I have tried before is
    Ah, I was unaware that multiple data files could not be auto-updated. Seems like an unnecessary limitation. A possible problem would be if multiple files were trying to update simultaneously, but that could theoretically be prevented in software.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• AlaskanRogue
    AlaskanRogue Member ✭✭
    edited June 2021
    @volvogirl I have two corporations, a 501c3 foundation and personal, each having their own tax reporting requirements.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok good.  Just checking.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.