Beachballing when reconciling but only for one account

Options
If I check or uncheck an entry in the reconciliation window during a reconciliation, usually it works fine. However, for *one specific account*, every time I check or uncheck an entry, Quicken beachballs for five seconds.

This has been going on for years, ever since I imported my file from Quicken 2007 Mac. It’s one specific account only.

Reconciliation was rebuilt in Version 6.2.1 (Build 602.38957.100). So I tried it out. And in the new version, reconciliation *still* beachballs, and *still* only for that one account.

Help? I can provide a stacktrace.
Tagged:

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's so specific about this one account?
    Account type?
    Number of transactions?
    Placeholder transactions in an investment account?
    Please tell us more ... maybe a community moderator will bite ...
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Avi Dee said:
    Reconciliation was rebuilt in Version 6.2.1 (Build 602.38957.100). So I tried it out. And in the new version, reconciliation *still* beachballs, and *still* only for that one account.
    Actually, I believe they just made cosmetic changes in version 6.2, making the screen match the Reconciliation History screen which debuted in version 6.1; there was no overhaul of the process, just the screen display. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Blastphemy
    Blastphemy Unconfirmed ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Avi Dee said:
    jacobs said:
    Actually, I believe they just made cosmetic changes in version 6.2
    So Quicken "fixed" something that wasn't broken but didn't fix what was actually not working? That seems par for the course!  :D

I too see the spinning beachball when reconciling some accounts, and I don't see how shrinking the fonts and adding lots of useless whitespace made the process any better. But my earlier comments about it didn't elicit any change from Quicken, so it is what it is.

The programmers fix what they want, and most of the time I don't understand the priority or justification for what they or the designers do. I'm grateful that I was finally able to transition from QMac2007 in Mojave to QMac2021 Deluxe in Big Sur, but I still feel that it's an inferior product 14 years later. It has just enough features and functionality for me to use it on a permanent basis, but I do miss QMac2007.
  • Avi Dee
    Avi Dee Member ✭✭
    Options
    FYI, the one account that beachballs for me when checking off cleared items is one of my three Wealthfront accounts. The other two are fine.

All three have identical columns displayed, identical sorts, etc. Note that in the main window, I can click the checkboxes all I want without beachballs; it’s only in the reconciliation window that it beachballs, so it’s not about the number of entries.
  • jacobs
    Options
    Blastphemy said:
    So Quicken "fixed" something that wasn't broken but didn't fix what was actually not working? 
    My guess is that the developers are unaware of this "beachball" delay problem with reconciliation. Whatever the problem is, it doesn't appear to be widespread or affecting lots of users. Even if a few people have reported it, if someone at Quicken tried to verify a report and was unable to reproduce it, it may not have gotten any farther than that.

So it's worth continuing to try to make some noise about the issue, such as submitting sanitized files, to  try to get it to the attention of the developers. 
  • jobworker
    jobworker Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I have never experienced Beach balling at reconciliation with any of my many accounts including securities, credit cards and bank checking(several) and savings accounts. Does it depend on how often a reconciliation is done or dependent on the F/I?  It seems an analysis is required to determine where the problem lies.
  • jacobs
    Options
    @jobworker  I, too, have never experienced this reconciliation problem. Those who are discussing it above say it happens on some accounts consistently, and not at all on others. Beyond that, user shaven't been able to determine what specifically causes the issue. Which is why it needs to get to the developers -- mostly likely with with data files where the issue is reproducible -- so an engineer can dive in to identify and fix the problem. 
  • Avi Dee
    Avi Dee Member ✭✭
    Options
    This is 100% consistent, and reproducible for me, and has been for years. I’m willing to submit sanitized files and CPU samples, but I’m not going to post it here, and I don’t want to send them into the void and have them ignored.
  • jacobs
    Options
    Avi Dee said:
    This is 100% consistent, and reproducible for me, and has been for years. I’m willing to submit sanitized files and CPU samples, but I’m not going to post it here, and I don’t want to send them into the void and have them ignored.
    No, you definitely don't post it here on the forum; you have to do so with the Report a Problem feature in Quicken. Unfortunately, it then does go into a void, and there's no way to know if they have reproduced the problem or discarded it. Hopefully, with a clear description of which account(s) to use and how to exactly see this problem, it will b e verified and turned over to the developers. If multiple people submit similar reports, so much the better.

The only other options I'm aware of to try to get visibility for an issue are if (a) one of the moderators here gets involved and personally looks into a submitted sanitized file to try to reproduce it and submit it as a bug, or (b) posting it in one of the release threads which Marcus is monitoring gets him to reach out to gather more information.

There's no certainty of results with any of these; on the flip side, doing nothing and hoping they'll eventually fix something they're probably not aware of seems unlikely to produce satisfactory results.
  • Avi Dee
    Avi Dee Member ✭✭
    Options
    So 1) sent my report into the void and 2) will note this in every release thread from now until it’s fixed.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @Avi Dee

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and issue with the community.

I was able to locate the "Report a Problem" submission and have forwarded the details of this issue, along with the files from the submission to our Teams to investigate further.

At this time I do not have an ETA on when an update or a resolution might be available, but I will be back to share any updates as I receive them.

Thank you,

Sarah

(CTP-2204)
  • Avi Dee
    Avi Dee Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you!! Please note that I do software development, and am able and willing to help your tech folks if they need it.
This discussion has been closed.