Why don't memo entries carry over with a transfer

When doing a transfer entry, checking account to savings account for example, the items listed in the memo section of the "originating" account do not transfer to the memo section of the "receiving" account (savings). Is this normal, or am I missing something?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may be missing something.
    When you first enter a transfer from one Account to another Account and that originating "from" entry has something in the Memo field, that memo information does carry over to the "to" Account.
    It used to be in Quicken if you edited the "from" transaction's Memo field that new memo would also appear in the "to" Account's register, but that got changed at some point and it no longer works like that.  Now you can change that initial memo information in either Account from what it was originally to some thing else, allowing for different memo information in the two Accounts.
  • wkern
    wkern Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the response. I should have been more specific. I'm referring to the memo section of split transactions. None of what is entered in the original "from" transaction carries over with the transfer to the "to" account. The data in the memo section of the split is blank in the "to" account's register.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're talking about this situation here where a transfer to one Account is split up into different amounts and each line of the split has its own distinct memo information?:

When you split up an amount being transferred to one Account those amounts are compressed into one total dollar entry with only the memo line of the first line of the split showing.  That's just how Quicken is programmed.  You can preserve the split over in the "to" Account by either using different Tags for each line of the split, or originating the transfer in the "to" Account, making the transaction entry there.
This discussion has been closed.