Trouble Matching

Options
System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Does anybody else have the issue of transfers transferring into the same account?.

Comments

• hemminghaus
    hemminghaus Member ✭✭
    Options
    Looking for an answer to my Amex Savings MANUAL transfer to Chase Checking glitch when matching with a bank download. It will not accept the match (even tho' it is a match). When I open another account (Visa or Whatever) and then return to Chase Checking, The original transfer out of Amex to Chase Cking is replaced with a NEW DEPOSIT, which I manually accept.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @hemminghaus

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience and feedback with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

Please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you are using. 

Where is this issue occurring, is this in the register or the downloaded transaction tab? Is this the only transaction that this happens to?

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

First please ensure that all optional settings in Quicken pertaining to recall, memorization, automatic categorization and renaming of payee names are enabled. You find those settings in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry & Quickfill and Downloaded Transactions. Additional settings can be found for the detection and processing of transfer transactions in Edit / Preferences / Transfer detection.

Are you automatically accepting downloaded transactions into your registers?

If you are relying on Quicken to "automagically" fill your account registers from downloaded transactions, you may run into problems. Despite all efforts by the Quicken programmers, the "Autopilot" (that's my name for the part of the Quicken program which processes downloaded transactions and converts them into new register transactions) is not infallible. For that process to work 100% of the time one would need a crystal ball because the information downloaded from the banks often is just too terse and cryptic.

You should, at least for a while, turn off the "automatically accept downloaded transactions into registers" setting to gain better control over what is downloaded and what to do with it. Click on and review each downloaded transaction, make changes if necessary (e.g., to get a payee name = "Starbucks" instead of "POS TRANS 070119 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070219 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070319 STARBU" or to assign a category) before you click to accept each transaction.

Any changes you make to downloaded Payee Names are remembered in Renaming Rules.

Any other changes you make (add/change Category or Memo text) are remembered in the Memorized Payee List.

Next time the same transaction for this Payee comes along, Quicken should remember and give you a better new register transaction.

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:

For best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date. Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the Autopilot's process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the Autopilot should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

Where are the "Auto-accept downloaded transaction" settings?

There are two places where this is controlled in Quicken for Windows:
     - Globally, for all accounts, in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions
     - For each account individually, the global setting can be overridden from the Edit Account Details screen, Online Services Tab. Look for blue text "Automatic Entry is: ON / OFF". Click the text to change the setting.

• hemminghaus
    hemminghaus Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Tyka: Quicken Deluxe, Version R33.19, Build27.1.33.19, Windows7, Home Premium. Renewed 4-2021.
    Tyka, this glitch begins within the Download Transaction Tab when Q. refuses to manually match with the previously entered transfer from Amex to Chase Ck. This is the only opportunity for the gltch to occur, and it does so everytime we transfer funds from Amex to Chase for the past 3-months ... never prior to and I have been a user since the late 1990's.
    UKR, I will explore those recommended settings re: downloads. Never been in there; never had to. DO NOT USE AUTOMATIC DOWNLOADS, ever.
  • hemminghaus
    hemminghaus Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Tyka: Quicken issues with Win 7 Forced me to Sw. to Win 10, increase the size of my SSD, & replace Office 2003 with 2019. That completed, and I still have trouble matching Transfers from or to Amex, from or to Chase Checking, doing so the way we have for years. So Quicken has changed its tolerances in the past several months

What I have discovered June 9, 2021
    1. A Transfer of 1,158.89 from CHSE PREMIER PLUS CHECKING is created in AMEX HOUSE SAVINGS as a Deposit received, with PREMIER PLUS CHECKING chosen as the TRANSFER Category.
    2. The withdrawal side of the transaction automatically appears in CHASE PREMIER PLUS CHECKING as a debit for 1,158.89 with AMEX HOUSE SAVINGS automatically selected as the TRANSFER Category.
    3. The Download from CHASE PREMIER PLUS CHECKING for a manual match with the 1,158.89 debit generates a MATCH DESIGNATION without the match selection highlighted in the register. Manually highlighting does not have an effect, and using EDIT to override shows the 1,158.89 debit no longer exists.
    4. Indeed, it does not exist in the CHASE PREMIER PLUS CHECKING REGISTER, where it previously appeared. A Quicken message window appears, “The transfer transaction is to an Account that no longer exists in Quicken”.
    5. This same 1,158.89 Debit Download from our Chase Premier Plus Checking Account now appears in the Accept cleared transactions into register list as a New Transaction, not a TRANSFER.
    6. We made a 2nd transfer in the same way, on the same day, with the same results. This is a Pull Transaction. I have identical results from a Push Transaction, sending a debt withdrawal from checking to Amex where it becomes a deposit. In fact, I will do one tonight to follow closely each step to the checking transaction download glitch.
    7. This is the problem I reported a month or more ago, when I still used Windows 7. Now, Windows 10 Home is my OS, so what gives?
    Haus
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's quite possible that the programmers made some changes, to try to make things better ... but they won't tell us what they changed ...
    It's been my experience that manually recording transfer transactions BEFORE you download from the bank gives the best results, because correctly categorized transactions already exist in your register. Now all you have to do is to verify that Quicken, after download, will correctly recognize a match to the existing register transaction and accept it.
  • hemminghaus
    hemminghaus Member ✭✭
    Options
    UKR, Supervisor. Thks for joining. After a few hrs. sleep, I accepted the NEW transaction (that replaced my previous, & no longer in the Chase Cking Register, transfer. Quicken asked if this matched a corresponding DEPOSIT in in the AMEX register, Yes/No? That is a Yes. Performed ctrl+shift+X. Voila! Quicken recognized this match as a transfer.

I have 3 more transfers out of AMEX Savings generated today; let's see if this convoluted process holds true when I clear the bank downloads against my pre-entered transfers.

Why don't transfers into credit cards mis-behave like this??
This discussion has been closed.