Will not download update

Options
When I open my Quicken program, I get an update available notice. When I click download, it starts, but then I get the following message:
Update failed to install. The process cannot access the file 'C;\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w556\base\RPMMigration\MigrationTool.exe' because it is being used by another process.

I have Quicken installed on my desktop pc and on my laptop, and I get the same message on both computers.

Blmac

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @blmac5

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with updating the program. I'm wondering here if you've tried the Mondo patch just yet to see if we're able to push the update. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Once you get a chance to try these steps, please let us know what you find.  From there we'll better understand our next options.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• blmac5
    blmac5 Member
    Options
    Tried the suggestion made and got the following message:
    Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load.
    Could not parse the URL "McCarley\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\current/wyserver.wys" - it's either malformed or is an unknown protocol

Blmac5
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @blmac5

Thanks for the update. That is odd as I don't normally see that error message when updating. In this case contacting Quicken Support directly may be the best option. They'll be able to screen share with you to figure out what exactly is preventing us from updating if you are comfortable doing so. I will leave our hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Problem 1
    blmac5 said:
    When I open my Quicken program, I get an update available notice. When I click download, it starts, but then I get the following message:
    Update failed to install. The process cannot access the file 'C;\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w556\base\RPMMigration\MigrationTool.exe' because it is being used by another process.

I have Quicken installed on my desktop pc and on my laptop, and I get the same message on both computers.

Blmac
    this is caused by an overeager Antivirus software. You can try rebooting Windows into Safe Mode with Networking and without your AV active.

Problem 2
    blmac5 said:
    Tried the suggestion made and got the following message:
    Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load.
    Could not parse the URL "McCarley\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\current/wyserver.wys" - it's either malformed or is an unknown protocol

Blmac5
    is caused by an old, apparently as yet unfixed bug in the installation script which trips over the username portion of a file name when the username contains a blank space,
    e.g., C:\Users\John Doe\Appdata\...
    Create a new local Windows user account with Admin privileges using a single word as username, e.g. "John", so that the file name looks like C:\Users\John\Appdata\...
    Logon to the new account and run the Quicken installation file.
    When done, logon to your regular Windows account and run Quicken as usual.