Reconcile issue (Q Mac)

pauldv172
pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
I am trying to reconcile my checking account.  I have and ending date of 5/13/2021 in the Use Statement Date field.  When I click next, I am off in the difference file $299.24.  There are 2 transactions dated 5/14 that are shaded out but checked as cleared even though they are beyond the reconcile date.  I tried in checking but nothing changes.

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I would close out of the Reconcile window for now. (You can always go back.)

Select 1 of the 2 transactions 5/14 transactions in question. Hit command+option+i to bring up the transaction inspector. (Or, View:Show Transaction Inspector from the menu) This will give you all sorts of minutia about the transaction:

I suspect that, if you look down at the bottom of the window, you will see the "Date Posted" as being 5/13 or earlier. That is the value used when determining what transactions to include in the balance.
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your input.  It was not that date that was causing the problem.  It was the DATE field at the top of the inspector.  I changed that date to 5/13 and it worked. 

This is an issue with reconciliation   I should not have to change the date for it to work.
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    It happened again.  Must be a problem with the new reconciliation update.  It should be using the date posted not the date.  Never had this problem before.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @pauldv172  I'm confused. Are these transactions you have entered manually and the downloaded transactions have matched your manual transactions? If so, and you want the posted date to take precedence over the manually entered date, there is a preference setting for this under the Connected services tab.

Or are you saying that these are downloaded transactions which didn't exist in your register at all before they were downloaded, where the transaction date is repeatedly one day later than the posted date? In your first example above, the transaction date was 5/14 and the posted date was 5/13? So the bank or credit card company is transmitting two different dates? I don't download all my transactions, but mine always have the same Date and Posted Date; it seems odd that the financial institution would say the transaction posted a day earlier than it is dating the transaction.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info.  I cannot answer your questions yet.  I already changed dates and reconciled.  I will have to wait and see what happens next month. 
    I changed the changed the preference for posting date
  • jacobs
    @pauldv172  Without waiting until your next monthly reconciliation, you can use the Inspector to look at transactions as they download in upcoming days to see if the Date and Posted Date are the same or differ.

I'd still be curious to know if you have some transactions you enter manually in your register, including scheduled transactions, which Quicken matches with downloaded transactions? Or are all your downloaded transactions new and not matched to any manual ones?
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    I do enter transactions manually including scheduled transactions and they are matched when I download. 
  • jacobs
    @pauldv172 Okay, so that permission setting you changed should fix the date discrepancies you were experiencing. 
This discussion has been closed.