Launching Quicken file is unbearably slow (Q Mac)

datawiz
datawiz Member ✭✭
It took exactly nine minutes to launch my Quicken file just now - I had the timer running. I am on a 2019 16" MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.4 and have the Quicken Deluxe subscription version 6.2.1. I have tried the usual Mac troubleshooting steps like restarting the computer, resetting the PRAM, repair disk permissions, nothing helps. How do I fix this?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I'm assuming this just started? The first thing I'd try is restoring a backup from a day or two ago, before this problem started, to see if it works normally. I don't know what's wrong with your data file that's causing this problem, but if switching to a recent backup solves the problem, I'd write it of as an anomaly and move on.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What else is the Mac doing while Quicken starts? Is it just waking up after a reboot, trying to get many other apps up and running, too?
    Have you seen the other "Mac slow" discussions? The  ones talking about hidden views in Quicken taking up much time during startup?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @UKR  Aside from a little sluggishness immediately after a restart, nothing I've heard of previously would account for taking Quicken Mac 9 minutes to launch. (Back in the Quicken 2015 through Quicken 2017 days, Quicken Mac was slow to launch for user who had larger data files; for me it was about 40-45 seconds, and other reported longer than that… but never 9 minutes. And that problem was fixed with an optimization years ago.) The other threads you're referring to result in every action in Quicken feeling sluggish because multiple reports/windows hidden in the background need to refresh after each entry -- but even those don't take as long a @datawiz is saying.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • datawiz
    datawiz Member ✭✭
    The slowness was the same whether trying to launch soon after restarting the Mac, or when it had been up and running for days. Not trying to open another app at the same time. No difference in whether I had another app open at the same time. Don't think it had anything to do with hidden stuff because it hadn't gotten that far in opening the file - I was still seeing just the small window saying "Open [filename]".

I first tried restoring from backup date of last weekend and got the same nine-minute launch time. Then I tried restoring from my June 3 pre-update backup, which is the oldest I have without digging into BackBlaze or TimeMachine, and that fixed it. Launch time is now five seconds.

So now I have 19 days of cleanup to do, which isn't too bad. Thanks for the help.
  • Blastphemy
    Blastphemy Unconfirmed ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    QMac 2021 is slow on my high-end computer too, but not that slow! I'm seeing delays of 2-15 seconds, not minutes.