Use "enter" to move forward between fields? (Q Mac)

Lawson
Lawson Member ✭✭
On Quicken for Windows, I went to preferences and set it so that I could use the enter key to enter data and move forward to the next field (instead of only using the tab key). With the default settings, every time you press enter, it enters the transaction even though the data entry is not complete. Is there a way to set the Mac program to allow me to just press enter to move forward between fields that I'm entering?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    No, the Tab key is generally the way to move between field on Quicken Mac, and there is no Preference setting to change that.

There are places where you can use the Enter key. For instance, if you're in the Payee field and partially type a Payee game, Quicken will display a list of possible Payee matches, and will highlight the one it thinks you'll want; you can press Enter to select the highlighted Payee and move to the next field.

There are other keyboard shortcuts for moving between fields. Shift-Tab moves you backwards through the fields. In the date field, you can also use the left and right arrow to move between month, day and year; alternatively, in the date field, you can type a slash to move forward and Shift-Tab to move backwards. In the Payee field, if you type a Payee name but want to override any Quickfill data from being filled in, pressing Option-Tab will enter the Payee and move to the next field without auto-filling any other fields.

But in general, you will have to re-train your hand-eye-brain coordination to use Tab to move between fields. ;)  Once you get used to it, it's really not an impediment to using Quicken Mac at all.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    No, the Tab key is generally the way to move between field on Quicken Mac, and there is no Preference setting to change that.

There are places where you can use the Enter key. For instance, if you're in the Payee field and partially type a Payee game, Quicken will display a list of possible Payee matches, and will highlight the one it thinks you'll want; you can press Enter to select the highlighted Payee and move to the next field.

There are other keyboard shortcuts for moving between fields. Shift-Tab moves you backwards through the fields. In the date field, you can also use the left and right arrow to move between month, day and year; alternatively, in the date field, you can type a slash to move forward and Shift-Tab to move backwards. In the Payee field, if you type a Payee name but want to override any Quickfill data from being filled in, pressing Option-Tab will enter the Payee and move to the next field without auto-filling any other fields.

But in general, you will have to re-train your hand-eye-brain coordination to use Tab to move between fields. ;)  Once you get used to it, it's really not an impediment to using Quicken Mac at all.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Lawson
    Lawson Member ✭✭
    Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.