How to copy Quicken file onto a new MacBook without a USB flashdrive port

TSFlash
TSFlash Member ✭✭
I have quicken for Mac on my old iMac. I bought a new MacBook. I have saved a backup on a flash drive and went to plug it into the MacBook after downloading the quicken software on it. Forgot that the MacBook doesn't have a port for a flash drive. How can I get my quicken info onto my MacBook.

Best Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Airdrop is easy; you should try it in case there's anything else you ever need to move between devices. Also for the future: do File > Compress to create a .zip file, then email it to yourself; open your email on the other machine and download it. Simple! ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    TSFlash said:
    There are two ports but they seem to only fit the charger cord and maybe some adapter I don't have. 
    The ports on your MacBook as I think you've discovered are USB-C. You don't need a full-on USB-C hub; you really only need a simple USB-C (male) to USB-A (female) adapter. These come in both cable and non-cable varieties. The one from Apple is about $20, but there are a zillion of them on Amazon (for https://www.amazon.com/Syntech-Adapter-Thunderbolt-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B07CVX3516/ ) for much less than half that. Probably something you might want to have on hand in case the need to plug in a USB-A device comes up in the future.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• volvogirl
    Can you AirDrop it over?  You sure it doesn't have a USB port?  That seems odd.

• TSFlash
    TSFlash Member ✭✭
    Hey thanks for the response. There are two ports but they seem to only fit the charger cord and maybe some adapter I don't have. There is no slot for a flash drive on this brand new MacBook Air laptop. Not sure how I would air drop it I'm not that familiar with that process.
  • TSFlash
    TSFlash Member ✭✭
    It appears I need to get a USB adapter hub after googling some stuff but am hoping there is still some way to get the info transferred over without that... perhaps in the cloud or airdrop like you said??
  • volvogirl
    Answer ✓

• TSFlash
    TSFlash Member ✭✭
    Hey thanks again for your help, I actually just figured out a way to do it using dropbox and it worked :)
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Airdrop is easy; you should try it in case there's anything else you ever need to move between devices. Also for the future: do File > Compress to create a .zip file, then email it to yourself; open your email on the other machine and download it. Simple! ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    TSFlash said:
    There are two ports but they seem to only fit the charger cord and maybe some adapter I don't have. 
    The ports on your MacBook as I think you've discovered are USB-C. You don't need a full-on USB-C hub; you really only need a simple USB-C (male) to USB-A (female) adapter. These come in both cable and non-cable varieties. The one from Apple is about $20, but there are a zillion of them on Amazon (for https://www.amazon.com/Syntech-Adapter-Thunderbolt-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B07CVX3516/ ) for much less than half that. Probably something you might want to have on hand in case the need to plug in a USB-A device comes up in the future.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • TSFlash
    TSFlash Member ✭✭
    Hey RickO thank you so much! I was searching for hubs to buy but your link showed me much less expensive alternatives for my needs thanks again! :)
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI - we use AirDrop all the time on our iPhones to share & copy photos with other family members.... works great -
    Think of it like Bluetooth sharing ....
    Just another Apple-only sharing invention.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.