Quicken 2017 - Is there a way to find an old product activation code and how to reconcile ?

RKB
RKB Member ✭✭
I use Quicken 2017 for Windows. I got a new laptop and want to load my Quicken onto it. I was able to get it loaded, but I can't find the product activation code, so I can't get it to open. I chatted with support and they no longer give support for Q2017, not even to give me an activation code.

I still have it loaded on my desktop, but it doesn't show on the About Quicken in the Help menu - like most other apps have your licensing or registration key there.

The app was sent to me on CD by Quicken. I can't find a product activation code anywhere in the envelope or on anything in the envelope.

Any ideas where I might be able to get hold of it?

Thank you,

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You probably need to update the program first.  If you install an older version you won't be able to update it from Quicken,  BUT one of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• volvogirl
    There is not an Activation code but you do need your Quicken ID.  Is that what's it's asking for?  Does the program load but you can't open your data file?  

• RKB
    RKB Member ✭✭
    Thank you volvogirl. I don't need anything updated, I just want to install the version of Quicken I already have (2017) on my new laptop. I can log in just fine and I can install the program; but, like most new software installations, it's asking for the product activation code (other apps call it a licensing key or registration number) in order to be able to activate it on the computer so I can actually use it.
  • volvogirl
    You still need to update the program to the latest release.  Try that.  

• RKB
    RKB Member ✭✭
    volvogirl - Why? It works just fine on my desktop. I just want it loaded on my laptop so it's ready to go if I need it due to a problem with my desktop. If an upgrade is required, I'll just wait until I can't use it on my desktop for some reason.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    here is another thought process.... would you have purchases the new laptop if it was priced $60 higher? 

if yes, then just go out and buy a new version of Quicken and use the $60 you saved on the laptop purchase to obtain a new version of Quicken... you'll live longer  :)
  • RKB
    RKB Member ✭✭
    Marke1104 - Not a good analogy. I purchased a new laptop because the old one didn't work! And, yes, I would have purchased a different model if it were $60 less and still met all my needs - I actually did end up purchasing one that was less expensive than the one I thought I was going to buy! I will purchase a new version of Quicken, but only when I need to, not because they forced me into it!! And, yes, I'll look at other options when that time comes because I don't have complicated personal finance management needs!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You are not understanding @volvogirl's comments.

She isn't telling you to update to a later "year version", she is telling you that you need to update to a later patch release for Quicken 2017.

Quicken 2017 started out using a Intuit ID, not a Quicken ID.  Any patch version earlier than R11 is going to be trying to log into the Intuit server which no longer exists.

Follow the instructions in @volvogirl's first comment.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • RKB
    RKB Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW - Thank you for the clarification, I will try it. @volvogirl - My apologies for misunderstanding your recommendation. I will give it a shot! Thank you both.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    RKB said:   Why? It works just fine on my desktop.
    always love these discussions....
    Intuit SOLD the Quicken product back in the 2016/2017 timeframe. 
    So - your installed version of 2017 works just fine,
    because it was probably purchased, installed, and activated during this timeframe.
    Now - 4 years after the fact - you are attempting to install and activate your Quicken 2017 again -
    - but the Intuit ID servers no longer exist to verify your identity
    - and there is no longer any Intuit Authentication Server to verify your Authentication Key
    That is why it was suggested to make sure you have the latest Quicken 2017 patch level that circumvents these issues.
    Of course - the online downloading services were also terminated last year when Q2017 was sunset, so guessing you don't use any online downloading and enter everything manually.

[EDIT] - also updated topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A discussion

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• volvogirl
    Thanks Chris for explaining it better than I.  Going to a newer version is called Upgrading.  I was suggesting to upDate your current version.  

• RKB
    RKB Member ✭✭
    @Ps56k2 - You are correct. I enter everything manually because, otherwise, you're not really reconciling your accounts; you're just downloading the transactions recorded by your bank or credit card and updating your records. By entering them manually and manually reconciling them against statements, I know if someone has accessed my account because there are charges or withdrawals that shouldn't be there. Not sure if everyone who just downloads their transactions pays attention. I do the same thing with my QB account. Besides, for security purposes, I don't see the need for Quicken or QB to have information about my banking, credit and loan accounts in their systems. One less place I need to worry about if they get hacked! Maybe I'm paranoid, but you can't tell me that it doesn't happen.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RKB said: I enter everything manually because, otherwise, you're not really reconciling your accounts; you're just downloading the transactions recorded by your bank or credit card and updating your records.
    hmmm... are you aware that during the online downloading process -
    your current Online Balance is ALSO downloaded -
    which is exactly what you can reconcile against in Quicken.... realtime - not when your statement gets printed -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    RKB said:
    @Ps56k2 - You are correct. I enter everything manually because, otherwise, you're not really reconciling your accounts; 
    If one wants to be picky this statement isn't quite correct.

Reconciling is the process of ensuring that your records (Quicken's entries) are the same as the financial institutions.

Or more formally from the definition:

In accounting, reconcile means to compare two sets of documents to make sure they are in agreement. One of those sets of records is usually a financial account statement, the other is typically your company's accounting spreadsheet. Bank reconciliations are the most common type of reconciliation.

Manually entering everything and just downloading and reconcile implies two different goals.
    • People manually entering have the belief that they need to verify what the financial institution is posting.
    • People downloading transactions, without first manually entering everything, are checking that transactions in Quicken are in fact the same as what the financial institution has.
    Others may have a different experience, but in all my 64 years I have only found one small transaction that I think might have been wrong from the financial institution (30 or 40 years ago).  On the other hand, because of various problems I certainly found what Quicken didn't properly match what the financial institution had.

I personally reconcile for the second purpose.
    Signature:
  • volvogirl
    Boy, if you couldn't reconcile downloaded transactions then nobody would want to upgrade to download.  That is one of the most basic functions of Quicken.  

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RKB there was a discussion here in the mid-April timeframe that I cannot find at this moment where another Q2017 user was facing a similar issue. As I recall, he had his Q2017 installed on one computer and he was trying to install Q2017 on his other computer. He was initially unsuccessful in getting the new install of Q2017 to run. 

Being a Q2017 user myself and possibly needing to install Q2017 on a new computer at some point, I was interested in his investigation and snapped a screen capture of his eventual solution. Here is that screen capture:

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• RKB
    RKB Member ✭✭
    Thank you all. I've tried all solutions presented. The updates couldn't find my Quicken installed - I suspect that's because it wasn't fully installed with the product activation code. The screen capture didn't work for me either, although I suspect it's on the right track. I'll just do any Quicken work I need to do from my laptop by dialing in remotely to my desktop until I actually need to upgrade.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    @RKB there was a discussion here in the mid-April timeframe that I cannot find at this moment where another Q2017 user was facing a similar issue. As I recall, he had his Q2017 installed on one computer and he was trying to install Q2017 on his other computer. He was initially unsuccessful in getting the new install of Q2017 to run. 

Being a Q2017 user myself and possibly needing to install Q2017 on a new computer at some point, I was interested in his investigation and snapped a screen capture of his eventual solution. Here is that screen capture:

The "magical" file in the Config folder that is needed is Quicken.INI, and even more to the point is the [Registration] section in that file.

On the other hand I think this is "academic".  Since Quicken 2014 it has been required to use the Intuit/Quicken Id.  If you have the right patch level for your year version of Quicken you will be able to install and run Quicken 2014 through Quicken 2017 on a new machine.  I have done many fresh installs with this configuration.

That file will get you past the "registration", but Quicken 2014 and above will not run without a valid Intuit/Quicken ID.  And since the Intuit ID can never be validated (no server) you have to be using a Quicken ID, which means you have to be using patch level high enough so that it is using the Quicken ID not the Intuit ID (and you might as well be using the latest patch).

If you can't validate the Quicken Id (for instance if Quicken Inc goes out of business) you aren't going to be able to do anything, so it really doesn't matter.

I'm not sure what the problem the person you the above post had, but I have never run into such a problem.
    Signature:
  • RKB
    RKB Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW - Thank you. I'll give it a shot.
  • ttrus
    ttrus Member
    @Chris_QPW Thanks for posting this. I just switched laptops and this worked perfectly!
This discussion has been closed.