Trying to add Morgan Stanley account crashes Quicken

Stuart Brown
Stuart Brown Member ✭✭
I have been using Quicken to download transactions from my Morgan Stanley account without any problems. I have Quicken for Windows R33.24. I decided to start a new Quicken file because I had so many transactions in my current file that Quicken was slow when I manually entered transactions. In the new file I tried to add my Morgan Stanley account and after entering my login credentials, Quicken crashed with no error message. I chatted with Quicken support and after 3 hours I was told that others were also seeing this problem and they had no idea when it would be resolved. I am surprised nobody else has posted on the forum about this if it is a known problem. I saw it first about 2 weeks ago. Has anyone else tried to add Morgan Stanley Wealth Management to a new Quicken file? Thanks.

Best Answer

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @Stuart Brown

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

The Described behavior can be caused by multiple things, as such we would recommend contacting Quicken Support directly for the best assistance. They'll be able to screens share if you feel comfortable doing so, to figure out exactly what could be causing the issue you're having. I will leave our hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was able to add my 2 MSWM accounts to a new file with no problems. The only oddity was that the success message said Quicken had only downloaded 1 day of transactions, when in fact it downloaded back to December 2019.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Stuart Brown
    Stuart Brown Member ✭✭
    Maybe the problem is the number of accounts I have, which is more than 20. Also, I remember at one time you had to enter an account number to add an account but all it asked for was my login/password. So something has changed.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @Stuart Brown

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

The Described behavior can be caused by multiple things, as such we would recommend contacting Quicken Support directly for the best assistance. They'll be able to screens share if you feel comfortable doing so, to figure out exactly what could be causing the issue you're having. I will leave our hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• Stuart Brown
    Stuart Brown Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. Now if you could kindly reread my first post before offering your advice, you could save us both a lot of time.
  • Soon2BeanExQUser
    Soon2BeanExQUser Member ✭✭
    Stuart I am having the same issue. As with you I spoke to tech support they had no good solutions. I did find if I use my main account number instead of user/password at least it does not crash. It doesn't work, but it doesn't crash. Maybe that is telling?
  • Soon2BeanExQUser
    Here is a screen grab of the error I get when I use the account Number. When I use my login I just get the crash.
  • Stuart Brown
    Stuart Brown Member ✭✭
    I did find a solution on my own. The problem was either the number of accounts I had being too large for Quicken to handle or maybe some of the accounts had been closed or had zero balance but were still in my MS accounts list and Quicken could not deal with that. I went to MS and under Profile + Settings -> Display -> Show/Hide accounts, I turned off all accounts but one. Then logged out of MS and back in. Then opened a new file in Quicken and added the MS account. That worked. So I repeated the process of showing more accounts in MS and adding them to a new file in Quicken. Note that when I enabled more accounts in MS and tried to add them to my existing Quicken file with already added MS accounts, Quicken did not see the newly enabled accounts - I had to start a new file in Quicken each time. Finally I was able to get all the active accounts added (I have 32 of them). There is still no excuse for Quicken to crash like it did and Quicken support has not gotten back to me on this issue, despite them saying they were looking into it.
  • Soon2BeanExQUser
    Thank you for the idea but according to MS I cannot toggle my accounts because they are configured for EDelivery. I guess like all things with Quicken I will just keep hoping they figure it out.
  • Soon2BeanExQUser
    I basically concluded I have two options in Quicken if I use account numbers it does not work. If I use the user name that I normally use to log in Quicken crashes
  • Stuart Brown
    Stuart Brown Member ✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I did have to turn off edelivery on all the accounts to be able to turn them off but after I got them back into Quicken I turned edelivery back on. A pain but at least I got it working. [Removed -Speculation]
  • mjsdental
    mjsdental Member
    @"Stuart Brown" thank you for creating this discussion thread. I've also been experiencing issues with adding new MS accounts to Quicken and it causing Quicken to crash every time. I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Quicken Support - which was pointless. I read your "solution" posted on July 3rd. Did you ultimately have to settle on having each one of your MS accounts separated to individual Quicken files or were you able to add all the accounts to one Quicken file with the workaround you found? I'm willing to try following the same steps as you did, but only if I can get all the MS accounts onto one Quicken file. Thanks for your help.
  • Stuart Brown
    Stuart Brown Member ✭✭
    My solution worked for me. You could try adding multiple accounts after getting the first one to work.
  • I've been fighting this issue for months. MS download worked fine for years and still does except I cannot add new accounts. I too spent 2 hours on the phone with Quicken support and in the end, they decided it was MS's issue. MS is non-responsive. I feel dumb now - I should have checked here a long time ago. Thank you Stuart for starting this discussion - I will see where these suggestions take me.
This discussion has been closed.