Category is not saving when payment is memorized

Options
When I enter a Category on a payment line and click Ctrl-M to memorize the payee, the Category is not being saved to the Memorized Payee List. This used to work just fine.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @Geoff Stuart, 

Thank you for reaching out on Quicken Community. I am sorry that you are having difficulties with memorizing a payee.
    To effectively memorize a payee save your transactions first and then hold down Ctrl-M simultaneously to memorize the payee. You will know it is successful once Quicken notifies you that the payee is about to be memorized. 

If using this short key method is unsuccessful then you can always enter it in manually. To enter in a new payee select Tools >Memorized Payee List >New Payee (bottom left corner). 

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Paloma

Answers

• Gabriele
    Gabriele Member ✭✭
    Options
    Did you save the transaction before you clicked Ctrl-M?
  • Geoff Stuart
    Geoff Stuart Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    No I usually hit Ctrl-M and then Ctrl-Enter to save the trans.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @Geoff Stuart, 

Thank you for reaching out on Quicken Community. I am sorry that you are having difficulties with memorizing a payee.
    To effectively memorize a payee save your transactions first and then hold down Ctrl-M simultaneously to memorize the payee. You will know it is successful once Quicken notifies you that the payee is about to be memorized. 

If using this short key method is unsuccessful then you can always enter it in manually. To enter in a new payee select Tools >Memorized Payee List >New Payee (bottom left corner). 

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Paloma

• feistmann
    feistmann Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have the same problem, and unless I am misunderstanding your instructions, this isn't working for me. When I pay my credit card bill, I allocate portions of the payment to budget categories. However, when I schedule a payment the next month, only one category is listed, so I have to choose each category again and allocate to each one again. This was not a problem with Bill Pay.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    feistmann said:
    I have the same problem, and unless I am misunderstanding your instructions, this isn't working for me. When I pay my credit card bill, I allocate portions of the payment to budget categories. However, when I schedule a payment the next month, only one category is listed, so I have to choose each category again and allocate to each one again. This was not a problem with Bill Pay.

The best way to properly budget for credit card purchases is to set up a credit card account register, one for each credit card you have, and then individually record each credit card purchase in these registers with proper categories as you make each purchase, e.g. Home Depot, Category = Garden Maint. or Safeway, Category = Food.
    At the end of the month, when you pay the credit card bill from your checking account, you just record a simple transfer transaction, e.g., Category = [XYZ Bank VISA 1234] (i.e., the name of the credit card account register enclosed in [square brackets]). This will create a linked transfer transaction, making one transaction appear in your checking account register and one in your credit card register, to reduce the balance.
This discussion has been closed.