Make category inactive? (Q Mac)

RubyP
RubyP Member ✭✭
I have categories that I used to use a lot, but don't anymore. Like I had a rental property and I don't have it anymore. I need to keep the categories for past use, but I don't need them anymore going forward. I can I make them "inactive" or possibly just make it so they're not recommended for use anymore?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    What John says is correct… but…

(1) There is an existing Idea thread (request for new functionality) on this site asking for the ability to hide categories. It is currently marked "Under Consideration", which means it has been sent to the developers to assess what it would entail to implement and when they would plan to tackle this project relative to the many other feature requests on their list. User votes matter! More votes can lead the the developers assigning an idea a higher priority and getting to it sooner. To vote, click on the link and in the yellow box under the first post, click the little arrow to add your vote.

(2) In the meantime, there's a little trick a number of us have employed to get our old categories out of sight: edit their names so they start with a prefix of "z" -- e.g. "z-Dining Out (Old)". This won't make them disappear, but it will drop them to the bottom of the category list, so you won't have to scroll past these obsolete categories.

(3) Another thing which may be useful for some old categories is to merge them, to each other or to other categories you continue to use. I recently posted some details about how to do so in another thread; click here to view that post
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2021
    No, there isn't a way to hide or make a category inactive at this time.

If you have used it in the past, you will have to keep it in the list.
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    What John says is correct… but…

(1) There is an existing Idea thread (request for new functionality) on this site asking for the ability to hide categories. It is currently marked "Under Consideration", which means it has been sent to the developers to assess what it would entail to implement and when they would plan to tackle this project relative to the many other feature requests on their list. User votes matter! More votes can lead the the developers assigning an idea a higher priority and getting to it sooner. To vote, click on the link and in the yellow box under the first post, click the little arrow to add your vote.

(2) In the meantime, there's a little trick a number of us have employed to get our old categories out of sight: edit their names so they start with a prefix of "z" -- e.g. "z-Dining Out (Old)". This won't make them disappear, but it will drop them to the bottom of the category list, so you won't have to scroll past these obsolete categories.

(3) Another thing which may be useful for some old categories is to merge them, to each other or to other categories you continue to use. I recently posted some details about how to do so in another thread; click here to view that post
  • Kodiak
    Kodiak Member
    I'd like to change some of my categories to inactive but still keep them available in case I ever need to use them in the future for tax purposes of previous years. My Quicken version is 6.2.2.
  • jacobs
    @Kodiak  Did you read the post above yours? It addresses this issue.
This discussion has been closed.