SUPER SLOW SEARCH AND UPDATE OF TRANSACTIONS!

Not just super slow app (everything is updated to the most current version), but the chat help was also super super slow! I kept having to send messages....then the chat person DROPPED out of the conversation w/o any notice. Everything was polite and without conflict at all.

Answers

• Qunbee
    Qunbee Member ✭✭
    Where can I review Quicken and it's "customer service"?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    This is a user-to-user support site; I'm no sure what you mean about "reviewing" Quicken? Posting a negative review? Try a social media site like Facebook, I'd think.

For what it's worth, there are hundreds of thousands of people using Quicken Mac, and not having the
    "super slow" problems you describe. So there is something wrong with your set-up or your data file which is causing you the problem. People here will be happy to help offer suggestions for troubleshooting if you're seeking help; if so, please post what version of macOS, what generation of Mac it is, the size of your data file, and then describe what is slow: launching the program? typing in fields to enter or edit a transaction? saving a transaction? opening a report? etc? The more information you provide, the better others will be able to help suggest things to try to fix the problem.

The problem you had with chat support has nothing to do with the Quicken application, since it take place entirely with your browser. The first thing I'd suggest, if you haven't done this already, is to restart your computer. If both Quicken and your web browser were slow and choppy, perhaps there's something wrong with your Mac, and as silly as it sounds, a simple restart can often cure unexplained problems. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Qunbee
    Qunbee Member ✭✭
    No restart did not 'cure' this issue. All software is latest version. Just had my Mac serviced earlier this year at Apple. I don't know how to answer "size of your data file" but can tell you that I hardly use any of the 1T of memory (about 950GB); the transactions are slow to post and search; it's slow to create reports; by slow I mean it takes about 2 seconds to 'find' a simple transaction query.
    While I certainly know there are hundreds of thousands using Quicken Mac, something has changed recently because I was NOT having a problem w/ Quicken about a week ago (prior to the latest update from Quicken). I'm not saying it's the update, just using that as a marker.
  • jacobs
    Qunbee said:
    Something has changed recently because I was NOT having a problem w/ Quicken about a week ago (prior to the latest update from Quicken). I'm not saying it's the update, just using that as a marker.
    The first thing I would try, then is finding a backup file from prior to when you started having this problem. Try opening the backup file to see if it behave the same as your current live file. If not, then you might have a little work to do to re-enter anything you've done in the past week or so, but the problem in your data file will be gone and you can carry on. If you get the same bad behavior, then you've ruled that out, and there's more troubleshooting to do…

I'm just not aware of anything which changed from version 6.2.1 to 6.2.2 which would account for the severe performance problem you're seeing.

Just to make sure of one thing, is your Quicken data file living on your Mac's hard drive? It's not on DropBox or iCloud, is it? If it's it a folder on your Desktop or in your Documents folder, also check System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive to make sure your Mac isn't storing your Desktop and Documents folder on iCloud. Several kinds of odd and unexplained behavior can occur if the data file is on a cloud storage service rather than the hard drive. (If you don't know where your data file is located, click on the red Q on the upper right of the Quicken screen, and select Show in Finder from the drop-down menu.)
  • Qunbee
    Qunbee Member ✭✭
    I'll try what you've suggested about opening the backup file. The backup file IS on my hard drive, not the cloud. I just checked the iCloud and my Desktop and Documents folder is not being stored there either.
  • jacobs
    Just for future reference, it doesn't matter where you have the backups stored; they are safe to store on a cloud service if you wish. It's only the live data file which must be on your hard drive. 
This discussion has been closed.