connections gone after archiving data

System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: R33.19 One Step Update Progress Window Disappears Mid-Update.

Best Answer

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @tswhitewater

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your archive. When you archived what option did you use? If you used the copy feature that was recently updated it does create a file that has no active connections for download. If you also created a year end archive the copy will also have the same effect with connections. 

You may have loaded up the wrong file afterward which is the issue. You can double check by going across the top to file then at the bottom of the list there should be a line saying 2 (File location) which is your second most recently used file. Double check if that might be the case.

Once you get the chance to check let us know if that may have been the case of it your main file was the one that was disconnected. From there we'll see what we can do next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

Answers

• tswhitewater
    tswhitewater Member
    I have a new issue. Following the latest update, I decided to use your new feature and archive my files for all but this year. The archiving seemed to work perfectly, however when I went to do a one step update, my password vault was gone. I ended up restoring a previous backup, which of course restored all of my data and the vault.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @tswhitewater

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your archive. When you archived what option did you use? If you used the copy feature that was recently updated it does create a file that has no active connections for download. If you also created a year end archive the copy will also have the same effect with connections. 

You may have loaded up the wrong file afterward which is the issue. You can double check by going across the top to file then at the bottom of the list there should be a line saying 2 (File location) which is your second most recently used file. Double check if that might be the case.

Once you get the chance to check let us know if that may have been the case of it your main file was the one that was disconnected. From there we'll see what we can do next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• jbmck
    jbmck Member
    I have the same problem. Created a year-end copy, then all my passwords and connections stored in the password vault are missing from the current copy. I did File-> Copy or Backup File ->Create a Year-end Copy, and the connections to my accounts are gone in the current file. They are still present in the year-end file. I'm at R34.16, build 27.1.34.16.
  • rae772
    rae772 Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem after creating year end backup yesterday
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for reference:
    This change was announced and documented in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7895340/windows-r34-xx-release-us#latest as follows:
    • Improved: Copy and Backup File support has been updated to prevent connection problems.

• Using a copy of a Quicken file that contains connected accounts, syncs to the cloud, or uses services such as Bill Presentment or Quicken Bill Manager can cause problems if you perform certain connected actions in the file copy and then switch back to using the original file. To prevent these issues, using the Copy command in Quicken will now create a copy that has all the online services disconnected. This is useful when creating an archive file you don’t intend to update in the future via download, or when you’d like to use the new file as a “template” or starting point for a new, separate Quicken file. 

• If you only want to create a copy of your file for troubleshooting purposes or to experiment with a new feature, you can also make a copy, then reconnect any accounts you need, and proceed to use the copy.

• If you want to make a complete Backup of your file to possibly restore in the future, use the Backup option instead. A backup will not have connected services disabled when you open the backup via the Restore Backup feature.

• Please review this help document if you have questions

• harterpk
    harterpk Member ✭✭✭
    I am running Quicken R34.24 and am experiencing the problem mentioned above.

Every couple years, I have created a copy of my file including old transactions and trimmed some of the older transactions to make the file smaller. This no longer works as desired.

The "Improved" Copy and Backup functionality is broken. It does not work as described in the on-line documentation.

If I create a year-end copy and set the dialog to modify my original file to include only transactions newer than 1/1/2018 (for example), I end up with two files in my directory:
    - original-file.QDF - older transactions removed, but password vault is empty and all
    on-line connections gone, too.
    - original-fileBKP.QDF - just the original file that I started from -- UNMODIFIED and
    still including all the most recent transactions

If I create a year-end copy and leave the dialog to keep the original file unmodified, I get what I would expect:
    - original-file.QDF - original file untouched
    - original-fileBKP.QDF - copy of the original file with this-year's transactions gone and all
    on-line connections closed as described.

Quicken - please fix!!
  • Randy Myers
    Randy Myers Member ✭✭
    what a joke!! archived and lost all my online connections and passwords. fix it
  • same problem and restore DOES NOT WORK. cant even find the files that exist in my directory! Major bug and functionality fail by Quicken
This discussion has been closed.