Unable to update from 5.11.2 to 5.18.2 on Mac OS X 10.12.6

I'm unable to update my Quicken app to the latest release supported on Mac OS 10.12, which is 5.18.2. When I run "Quicken -> Check for Updates..." the dialog does show me that it detects 5.18.2 is available, but when I click "Install Update" I get an update error and told to try again later.

The update dialog shows the following text before I click "Install Update":

An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #132.d364d117.1625428412.bfbce3d

Is there a way for me to download 5.18.2 without using the updater?

Best Answer

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @uumickey & @SIsmateoniCi

Thank you for again for sharing the details of this issue with the community, although I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this has or may further cause.

If you haven't yet, please try to download and install the 5.18.2 version available here.

This patch should allow you to successfully update to the correct version for the High Sierra OS, however, please let us know how it goes.  If the error message persists, changes or if you are able to successfully install the update and access Quicken again.

Thank you,

Sarah

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2021
    @SIsmateoniCi  I have no clue about that cryptic error message, and I haven't seen any similar reports. So I have a few questions to try to see what the issue is:

1) Do you have a current subscription, or has your subscription expired? If you log into your account on 
    Quicken.com and click on the Manage Subscriptions box, what does it show about your subscription status and expiration date? 

2) While you're logged into Quicken.com, what happens if you click in the Access Your Apps box on the Quicken for Mac link. It should download a fresh copy of the Quicken installer. Run the installer and see if it installs a new copy of Quicken Mac. (I believe it may even try to install the current 6.2.2 release, even if your subscription previously expired, which as you note would be a problem because 6.x isn't supported on your operating system; it should then install 5.18.2, but I'm not sure how this is currently working.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • SIsmateoniCi
    SIsmateoniCi Member ✭✭
    @jacobs thanks for the tips. I do have a valid subscription through August this year. I tried moving my existing Quicken app to the trash and then using the installer, but that fails with a message just saying "An error occurred while installing Quicken. Do you want to try again?" This just repeats in a loop.

Maybe this won't be possible since Quicken ended support for 10.11 and 10.12.
  • jacobs
    Hmm, when the installer runs, it should install the latest version for most people, but install 5.18 for people using macOS Sierra. I'll flag this for a moderator to see if they can get current information on how to work around this.
  • uumickey
    uumickey Member
    I am having the exact same error, unable to update. Same steps and same failures.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @uumickey and @SIsmateoniCi

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your update. I'm wondering here if you have tried deleting and reinstalling Quicken to see if we're able to push you to the latest patch. I'll leave steps down below on how to do so. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/install-or-uninstall-quicken-mac

Once uninstalled we'll want to reinstall with the link down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it

Once you get a chance to try these steps, please let us know what you find.  From there we'll better understand our next steps/options.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• jacobs
    @Quicken Francisco  If you read the exchange above, you'll see that the original poster did trash the currently installed application and tried downloading a fresh installer from Quicken.com. That failed.

The problem here is that the current Quicken version (6.2.2) will not run on the user's computer because the current version requires a newer operating system (High Sierra or above) than the user has (Sierra). The installer is supposed to check for the operating system and not try to install a newer version than the operating system will support; in this case, the latest one which can run on the Sierra OS is Quicken 5.18.2. It seems the internal updater is not doing that, nor is the installer downloaded form Quickwen.com, as both throw cryptic error messages. So the question remains: how can this user with a current subscription obtain the latest version of Quicken Mac capable of running on their computer (e.g. 5.18.2)? 
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @uumickey & @SIsmateoniCi

Thank you for again for sharing the details of this issue with the community, although I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this has or may further cause.

If you haven't yet, please try to download and install the 5.18.2 version available here.

This patch should allow you to successfully update to the correct version for the High Sierra OS, however, please let us know how it goes.  If the error message persists, changes or if you are able to successfully install the update and access Quicken again.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • SIsmateoniCi
    SIsmateoniCi Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Sarah Thanks, with the 5.18.2 image I was able to get up and running. Thank you @jacobs for the support as well.
This discussion has been closed.