Entering a buy order, fund source disappears and cost is not deducted

Options
Tom39
Tom39 Member ✭✭✭
edited July 2021 in Investing (Windows)
When I start to enter a Buy order, I have the funding source available. Self funded from the account itself.

When I enter the buy order, I can enter a value in every category, and the funding source remains.

As soon as I enter a security name -- any name -- the funding source disappears. Also, the value of the security I bought is not deducted from the balance.

Deleting the security will not bring the funding source back, either. Once it's gone, it's gone.

I did check the Account details, Tracking Method -- it's "Complete - Positions and Transactions"

When I set up the account and it downloaded the last 30 days, and those transactions work. But when I attempt to enter old data, the program glitches and won't accept the purchase correctly. I can do it as two transactions (one purchase, one "make money disappear cash out"), but that's not elegant -- an I know it can work, per the downloaded transactions.

I'm attaching two images, one of the system downloading and funding correctly, one showing what happens when I make a manual BUY entry.

Thank you.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The problem is that when you did the initial download, Quicken added Placeholders to account for your holdings prior to the oldest transaction date. Rightly or wrongly, Quicken will not let you enter a transaction that affects the cash balance prior to a Placeholder for that security. To enter the earlier transactions,

1) back up your data in case something goes wrong.

2) Make the Placeholders visible if they are not already by going to Edit > Preferences > Investing Transactions and checking the Show hidden transactions box

3) For each Placeholder, note the date and share quantity in the Placeholder. This is the number of shares you will have to enter in earlier transactions.

4) Delete the Placeholder

5) Enter the earlier transactions

When you are done, you can click on the account's gear menu and select Reconcile shares. This will show any remaining discrepancies. Do not let Quicken create new Placeholders,note the discrepancies and make the additional corrections. 

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The problem is that when you did the initial download, Quicken added Placeholders to account for your holdings prior to the oldest transaction date. Rightly or wrongly, Quicken will not let you enter a transaction that affects the cash balance prior to a Placeholder for that security. To enter the earlier transactions,

1) back up your data in case something goes wrong.

2) Make the Placeholders visible if they are not already by going to Edit > Preferences > Investing Transactions and checking the Show hidden transactions box

3) For each Placeholder, note the date and share quantity in the Placeholder. This is the number of shares you will have to enter in earlier transactions.

4) Delete the Placeholder

5) Enter the earlier transactions

When you are done, you can click on the account's gear menu and select Reconcile shares. This will show any remaining discrepancies. Do not let Quicken create new Placeholders,note the discrepancies and make the additional corrections. 

QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom39
    Tom39 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I found an alternate solution: I copied over an earlier working trade, I then changed the amount, then the date. This worked.

Then I saw you reply and had the Placeholders made visible. The total was now set to 0. I then deleted the placeholder of 0.

I ran the update, zero discrepancies.

Thank you for your help.