Security Name Omitted from DivX Transaction

System
System Member admin
edited July 2021 in Investing (Windows)
This discussion was created from comments split from: Investment Transfers.

Comments

• When I entered a dividend payment in Investing, I omitted the stock. I noticed the mistake when looking at the Cash account. I went back to the Investment account and added the stock information. The Investment account is now correct but the Cash account shows no payee. How do I solve this?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the Action column in the account's Transaction list (register). It should have one ReinvDiv for this transaction. If you click on that transaction then select Edit, it should show the correct amount and security name.

What is actually there?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    When I entered a dividend payment in Investing, I omitted the stock. I noticed the mistake when looking at the Cash account. I went back to the Investment account and added the stock information. The Investment account is now correct but the Cash account shows no payee. How do I solve this?
    Reading between the lines, I suspect you have a brokerage (investment) account with a linked cash account.  When you enter the dividend received in the brokerage account with the security name filled in, it gets recorded as a DivX transaction and the companion cash deposit into the linked cash account similarly reflects to security from which the dividend was paid.

When you errantly omit the security from the dividend transaction, neither component has the security name.  Adding the security name to the DivX transaction does not carry over to the cash deposit in the linked cash account.  In that context, the two transactions are unlinked after their initial creation. 

That behavior is not unusual.  When you have transactions recorded as a transfer between two accounts, they initially share the same description fields, memo lines, dates, and amounts.  But after that initial commonality, descriptions and memos are not linked -- each side can have different information. 

Your options are to either
    a)  Add the security name to both the investment account transaction and the cash account transaction as two separate edits, or
    b)  Delete the transaction from the investment account which will also delete it from the linked cash account, and then reenter it with the security name at which point it will go into both accounts with 'full' information.     
This discussion has been closed.