Change Financial Institution

I have an account that was formerly Wells Fargo Business. Wells Fargo has changed how it classifies the account (account number has not changed), so it is now just Wells Fargo, and it no longer updates as business. So I deactivated Online Services so that I could reconnect to Wells Fargo. But it won't let me do that, it just tries to find the account at Wells Fargo Business and it isn't there. So how do I change the Financial Institution on an existing account?

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    I really appreciate your efforts, but you apparently didn't understand. Online services are deactivated. I did that about a month ago when it stopped updating because they changed the coding of the account from business to regular. The problem is that the "Financial Institution" is NOT a field (even though it is a field on a new account). The Financial Institution displays as an embedded message saying "Wells Fargo Business" that can't be changed.
    If the Financial institution field remains immutable after the Online Services have been deactivated, the Quicken file may be corrupt.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Note: If you actually close the register in Quicken, the register may not be reopened.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you consider creating a new offline account register, moving the transactions from the old register to the new register, resetting any reminders and memorized payees, and deleting the original register, and enabling the Online Services for the new register.  You may want to review: FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts?

Before making any significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    After you deactivate the Online Services for the register, clear the name of the financial institution on the General tab of the Account Details window.  When you subsequently attempt to setup the Online Services, be certain to link the account Quicken finds at the financial institution to the appropriate existing register.
  • StevenBrower
    StevenBrower Member ✭✭
    Unfortunately that isn't a "field" on the General tab. It appears as an embedded title, with no "field" to be changed.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately that isn't a "field" on the General tab. It appears as an embedded title, with no "field" to be changed.
    Open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab, Deactivate, Yes, OK, the General tab, clear the Financial institution field, and select OK.
  • StevenBrower
    StevenBrower Member ✭✭
    I really appreciate your efforts, but you apparently didn't understand. Online services are deactivated. I did that about a month ago when it stopped updating because they changed the coding of the account from business to regular. The problem is that the "Financial Institution" is NOT a field (even though it is a field on a new account). The Financial Institution displays as an embedded message saying "Wells Fargo Business" that can't be changed.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    If the Financial institution field remains immutable after the Online Services have been deactivated, the Quicken file may be corrupt.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Note: If you actually close the register in Quicken, the register may not be reopened.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you consider creating a new offline account register, moving the transactions from the old register to the new register, resetting any reminders and memorized payees, and deleting the original register, and enabling the Online Services for the new register.  You may want to review: FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts?

Before making any significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
  • StevenBrower
    StevenBrower Member ✭✭
    Your willingness to help and stick with a problem is impressive! Thank you, the Validate fixed it. (I run validate once in a while, having been a user for over 15 years, but I didn't think about that this time because it had recently validated clean.) THANK YOU again.
This discussion has been closed.