Income (Paychecks) Not Showing in Bills & Income Tab (Q Mac)

All of our scheduled deposits are not showing in the "Bills & Income" tab. My paycheck is deposited on the 15th and last business day of the month. My wife's paycheck is every other Thursday. In the month of July 2021, I am paid on the 15th and 30th. However, she is paid on the 1st, 15th and 29th. The Bills & Income tab skips her paycheck on the 29th when "Next 30 Days" is selected in the dropdown even though the payee "scheduled" details clearly show the 29th as one of the next 5 deposits. Furthermore, when selecting "Next 60 Days; 6 months or 1 year" nothing beyond the current months expected deposits are shown. Have I missed something?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Try looking instead in your account register. Set the register to show next 30 days, or longer. (To do this, on the top right, just under the Search box, click the "v" arrow to the right of the little clock icon.) Does the transaction on the 29th show up here? I'm just trying to determine if this is a possible bug with the Bills & Income screen, or something else.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Casablanca
    Casablanca Member ✭✭
    Yes...the transaction on the 29th does appear along with other upcoming bills and income transactions when I make the recommended adjustments.
  • jacobs
    Maybe I'm not understanding your original description... On the Bills & Income screen Income tab, it shows only the next instance of each transaction in the time period you specify; it doesn't show each instance. (I don't know why they built it that way, but that's all I ever see. If you want to see multiple instances of a scheduled transaction, you can do that in a register. 
  • Casablanca
    Casablanca Member ✭✭
    We have two paycheck deposit schedules. I am paid on the 15th and last business day of the month. My wife is paid every two weeks on Thursday. In the month of July she is paid three times on the 1st, 15th and 29th. In the Bills & Income tab and sub-tab Income there is a drop-down that allows a range from Next Instance through 1 Year. I have scheduled our paychecks in QMac according to the expected dates of deposit. However, QMac skipped her paycheck on the 29th in that sub-tab list. Furthermore, QMac does not display any scheduled deposit beyond the 30 day selection. This morning (July 15th) when I made the two scheduled paycheck deposits, the scheduled deposit for the 29th instantly appeared on the sub-tab list. There appears to be a bug in the way QMac handles the combination of two dissimilar paycheck schedules (Twice Monthly & Every Other Week). However, the calendar feature shows each future deposit on the date expected well beyond one year in the future.
  • jacobs
    I don’t think there is any interaction between the two different scheduled transactions. I am still not clear on whether you are ever seeing more than the one next instance of either deposit on the Bills & Income screen?

My wife and I get paid every other week on different days; I see only the next instance of each deposit on the Bills & Income screen, while I see multiple instances of each deposit in my checking account register. From what I observe, the date range on the Bills & Income screen only controls how far into the future it looks for the next instance of a transaction, while the date range on an account register sets it to show all instances for that time period.
  • Casablanca
    Casablanca Member ✭✭
    I am seeing more that one instance....however, the software completely skipped a scheduled deposit transaction in the income list.

My understanding of the "Bills & Income" tab is to provide the user with a look forward based on the timeframe selected in the drop-down, i.e., "Next Instance; Next 30 Days, etc. I have bills and paychecks scheduled on their respective due dates. They all appear correctly in the "Calendar" tab each month well beyond 2022. However, the Income "sub-tab" list does not display any paychecks beyond the 30 day timeframe. I would think that if the software can calculate the next 5 paycheck deposits, it should be able to list the corresponding deposits within the selected timeframe. As to the use of the register, for me it is a tool to look back at income and expenses recorded overtime. Every paycheck in the past is recorded and appears as it should. The fact that the scheduled deposit transaction for the 29th appearing in the list instantly after the scheduled deposit transaction for the 15th was recorded tells me there is a bug in the software and a disconnect between the scheduled deposit transactions; the calendar and the income sub-tab list.
  • jacobs
    @Casablanca  I think we're still talking past each other. The Bills & Income screen is set to show the recurring transactions which exist, but not every instance of each recurring transaction. By contrast, both the calendar and the transaction registers can be set to show multiple future instances of a recurring transaction. 

So when I look at my Bills & Income screen, no matter what timeframe I select, I see only the next instance of each bill or deposit. For instance, on the Bills screen, I have several recurring monthly payments. Each one shows up only once on that screen, even if I select a timeframe of Next 1 year. Altering the timeframe filter only affect how far out it looks for inclusion on the screen. For instance, if I switch from 1 month to 6 months, none of my monthly bills repeat, but I do get the addition of one bill which is quarterly; if I switch from 6 months to 1 year, I get only the addition one one bill which is annual and comes up next June.

The same is true for income. It shows only one recurring transaction for my pay and one for my wife's pay. It does not show them repeating over and over for the next year. It shows the date of the next instance of the transaction. When I click the Deposit button, the date changes to the next instance of that scheduled transaction. 

When you look at your Bills & Income > Income screen, aren't you seeing just the next instance of each recurring transaction? You're saying you're seeing more than one? So you are currently seeing your next paycheck, your wife's next paycheck, your subsequent paycheck, and your wife' subsequent paycheck? 

• Casablanca
    Casablanca Member ✭✭
    @jacobs...Your most recent post provides the insight I needed to understand how QMac handles Bills & Income. If I'm understanding you correctly, QMac will only display the next instance in the list regardless of the selected timeframe, i.e., 30, 60 Days, etc. It's not a deal breaker, but a bit confusing. Thanks!
  • jacobs
    The part I think is confusing is that the time selections on Bills & Income are the same the time selections in account registers, yet they mean different things; in registers, it's showing each individual instance of scheduled transactions within the time period, while Bills & Income shows those transactions which have any scheduled instances within the time period.

The way I think of it, the register(s) and/or calendar are where you want to look if you want to see future scheduled transactions in a specific time period, whether the Bills & Income screen allows you to see your next upcoming schedule transactions (and mark them paid/deposited) in one place. I actually don't rely on the Bills & Income screen much, as I prefer to work in my registers, but I'm sure other people prefer to work differently. 
This discussion has been closed.