One of my credit card registers is decreasing balance when I make a purchase

I have one credit card (Capital One Signature Card) that I've been using and linked with Quicken since 2012 with no problem. Recently, the entire register from 2012 changed and every charge subtracts from the balance instead of adding to it, and every payment I make adds to the balance. Any ideas on how to fix this? I don't have the problem on any other credit card.
Tagged:

Answers

• Bami
    Bami Member ✭✭
    I solved the problem. I tried downloading my transactions several times, but finally I tried downloading one full year of transactions and when I did this the register reverted to calculating charges as expences.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you found it.  Here's some more info....

First make sure you are sorted in Date order with the newest date at the bottom. If you are not then click the DATE Column heading to sort.

Sounds like you're running a credit balance. Is the balance in red or black? Look back through your transactions and maybe you'll spot one that was entered backward. Or a payment in the charge column or a charge in the payment column. Look around back where this first started happening.  Or maybe you are missing some charges? 

If the balance is in Black, it means you have a credit on the card.  Like if you overpaid the bill or got a refund for something you returned.   When you enter a charge it will reduce (decrease) the credit you have available on it.   And a payment will increase the balance.

Also make sure you have the right starting balance.  If it's zero you might need to add a beginning balance for when you started the account in Quicken.

The credit card balance you OWE should be in RED. If the balance is Black then it's showing the credit card company owes you and you have a credit balance. And then when you make a payment it's like the cc owes you more. So you need to go back though your entries and find where the balance switched to black to being in your favor.

See this for more info.....

https://www.quicken.com/support/positive-black-balance-credit-card-account

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your problem was that you were missing more charges than payments and the account (in Quicken) had a positive balance.  The balance column is generally in a RED font since you rarely will ever have a situation where you have overpaid your account and they "owe" you money.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Bami
    Bami Member ✭✭
    Thanks very much for your comments, which I really appreciate. However, none of that was the problem. I even went back to the first transaction in the register, a charge - which instead of giving me a red negative balance - gave me a black positive balance... and this continued for all the transactions in the register. Even when I downloaded one year of transactions, and this fixed the problem, I did not enter any of them into the register and deleted them all. So in fact nothing changed from the time I had this problem to the time it was sorted out. Some strange bug I guess that we'll never understand! However, now it's back to normal.
This discussion has been closed.