Is Multiple register entries in one step possible

Each year, I enter several constant entries at the first of the year. For instance, I have payments and deposits that are the same each month so I enter them in advance. Instead of copying and pasting, as I do now, in January (12 times per register entry) is there a way to enter the Payee, Category, Memo and dollar amount and tell Quicken how many times to enter it and if it should be weekly, semi-monthly or monthly. Once I confirm and click okay Quicken will automatically enter the transaction in the specified register according to instructions using the future dates as well. Copying and pasting takes several entries per entry plus you have to change the date. This feature will be the same as a "recurring payment" with Bill Pay in your banks online app.

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I think request is a bit different than what a schedule transaction does (which in the newer versions of Quicken is called a reminder).

And the difference stems from what you view as a need to actually enter the transactions into the register before hand.

One can easily setup a reminder using the instructions given by @volvogirl that will "fire" on the dates given, but the problem with the request is being able to force them all to "fire" for a certain period of time in the future.

There are two modes for reminders automatic and manual entry.  If you set it to automatic it will for the most part fire on the date of reminder and enter it into the register.  If you set it to manual you would have to manually "trigger/Enter" each instance of the reminder that you wanted to be pre-entered into the register.

So the functionality you are looking for isn't there, but I think it isn't because there is a better way to do it.

It use to be very common for people to say that the pre-enter a month's worth of transactions at the start of the month so that they could see the balance would be about at the end of the month.

These days the reminders can be shown in the register and have the same effect that you can look at the balance and see how they will affect it.  The real nice advantage of this is because the reminders aren't "officially" entered into the register you can select the time period that you want for the reminders to show in the register, and change it whenever you like.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes that is a basic function.  It is a scheduled Transaction.  I couldn't find a support article for it but in my Windows Quicken 2013.......

To set up a scheduled transaction in Windows
    Go to TOOLS > Manage Bills & Income Reminders

People also always ask how to set up a Social Security payment like on the 3rd Wednesday.  It can be done.  To schedule a deposit like on the 3rd Wednesday for SS - Windows Quicken

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I think request is a bit different than what a schedule transaction does (which in the newer versions of Quicken is called a reminder).

And the difference stems from what you view as a need to actually enter the transactions into the register before hand.

One can easily setup a reminder using the instructions given by @volvogirl that will "fire" on the dates given, but the problem with the request is being able to force them all to "fire" for a certain period of time in the future.

There are two modes for reminders automatic and manual entry.  If you set it to automatic it will for the most part fire on the date of reminder and enter it into the register.  If you set it to manual you would have to manually "trigger/Enter" each instance of the reminder that you wanted to be pre-entered into the register.

So the functionality you are looking for isn't there, but I think it isn't because there is a better way to do it.

It use to be very common for people to say that the pre-enter a month's worth of transactions at the start of the month so that they could see the balance would be about at the end of the month.

These days the reminders can be shown in the register and have the same effect that you can look at the balance and see how they will affect it.  The real nice advantage of this is because the reminders aren't "officially" entered into the register you can select the time period that you want for the reminders to show in the register, and change it whenever you like.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S.  In the budget view you can select to include reminders or not for the future days/months.
    Signature:
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cherriann have you looked at using Scheduled Transaction Groups? Scheduled Transaction Groups enable you to schedule entry of multiple Memorized Payees. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list