Quicken doesn't recognize my external hard drive

Kara Gray
Kara Gray Member ✭✭
I have Quicken set to back up to an external WD drive. I had an issue with the drive not being recognized by the PC, which I have now resolved. I can access it via File Explorer with no problem. However, when I ask Quicken to backup to that drive (which is set in the preferences for automatic backup), it does not recognize/can't find the drive. It won't even let me navigate to it manually. It doesn't show up under "This PC" or "Network" in the Quicken file explorer window, even though it does show up in Windows File Explorer. How can I resolve this and get Quicken backing up to my external drive again? Right now it's backing up to an internal drive, which frankly doesn't do me a lot of good.

Best Answer

• Kara Gray
    Kara Gray Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @thecreator I was away from my desk when I saw your reply above, so I just now had a chance to do as you suggested. However, in true Windows fashion, the problem has automagically disappeared all on it's own. Quicken "saw" the external drive and I was able to configure it to save the backup to it, without having to disconnect/map the drives. Who knows why? But it's working now. Thank you for your time/advice. I'll refer back to this if I the problem should arise again.

Answers

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Kara Gray ,

You are correct

Is your External Hard Drive mapped to the operating system?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Kara Gray
    Kara Gray Member ✭✭
    @thecreator Yes, I assume so. It shows in my Windows Explorer and "map network drive" is not an option for it.
  • thecreator
    Hi @Kara Gray

What operating system build from winver Don't need the version, just the complete Build Number like 64-Bit Build 12402.1000, as an example.

How is the External Hard Drive attached to the computer? Plugged into the Router or plugged into a USB Port?

• Kara Gray
    Kara Gray Member ✭✭
    edited July 2021
    @thecreator Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 21H1, OS Build 19043.1110

Here's my Explorer. I'm trying to save the backup to Public MyBookLive X: When I try to Map Network Drive, it tells me this drive is already mapped.

The drive is plugged into a router which is then plugged in to my laptop, all with Cat5 cable

• thecreator
    Hi @Kara Gray ,

What is Z:\MEMORYCARD AND Y:\USBSTORAGE DRIVES that are mapped but show being disconnected?

Start Over. right-click on each External Hard Drive and click Disconnect.
    After all External Hard Drives are disconnected, restart / reboot the operating system.

Once you are at the Desktop, click on File Explorer.
    Click This PC and now Map the External Hard Drive as Z: Then turn on the Epson Device and map them X: and Y:

After File Explorer sees all Drives, open Quicken. Click on Backup. Create a Full Backup. Click on Change to find Z:\Quicken Backup.

Questions?

By the way, you are clicking on Change to change the current location.

• Kara Gray
    Kara Gray Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @thecreator I was away from my desk when I saw your reply above, so I just now had a chance to do as you suggested. However, in true Windows fashion, the problem has automagically disappeared all on it's own. Quicken "saw" the external drive and I was able to configure it to save the backup to it, without having to disconnect/map the drives. Who knows why? But it's working now. Thank you for your time/advice. I'll refer back to this if I the problem should arise again.
This discussion has been closed.