Importing a QMac 2007 file into QMac 2017

MaryLRB
MaryLRB Member ✭✭
I prefer QMac 2007 but have been running the 2017 version on my iMac as insurance in case an upgrade suddenly makes 2007 unworkable. Every now and then I get errors in my 2017 accounts that take time to ferret out and correct. (One of the reasons I prefer 2007 - I don't trust 2017.)
Currently I have one credit card account that I simply can't reconcile to the bill or to the 2007 version. I thought I could solve the problem by opening the 2007 file in 2017 but when I tried that, I got duplicates of all my accounts in 2017, e.g. Cash and Cash2, where the second was the one from 2007. Now I can't get rid of the duplicates.
So I have a couple of related questions:
1) Can I get rid of the duplicate accounts in 2017? If so, how?
2) Can I replace al my 2017 accounts with those from 2007? If so, how?
FYI: I'm running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6.
Any suggestions or advice will be much appreciated!

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2021
    First: a request to not post the same question multiple times, as it creates confusion and duplication of effort to provide help. 

Getting to the matter, it sounds like you imported the Quicken 2007 file into your Quicken 2017 file, which is not what you should have done; you wanted to instead create a new Quicken 2017 file. You could then decide whether you want this new Quicken 2017 file is the one you want to use moving forward, or just use it to compare transactions between that and your old file. To do this in Quicken 2017, go to File > New and on the Getting Started page, select to start from a Quicken 2007 data file.

One way to get rid of the problem would be the revert to a backup of your Quicken 2017 file before you imported the Quicken 2007 data. Quicken 2017 automatically creates backup files when you quit the program, so you should have your most recent backups. Ideally, you might also have a Time Machine backup of your Mac, which would allow you to pinpoint the exact date of backup you want to restore. 

Alternatively, if it's simply a matter of deleting some duplicate accounts, you can do that easily by Control-clicking the account name in the left sidebar and selecting Delete from the pop-up menu.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    I'd also add that the database in Quicken 2007 much more susceptible to data corruption problems than the one in Quicken 2017. It's likely that whatever problems you've had in Quicken 2017 come from not being as familiar with it and doing something which unknowingly created a problem for yourself, not from the database corrupting your data. It's understandable; there's a bit of a learning curve to doing things differently in modern Quicken Mac for longtime Quicken 2007 users. But the Quicken 2017 database is rock-solid reliable compared to Quicken 2007. 
  • MaryLRB
    MaryLRB Member ✭✭
    My sincere apologies for creating two posts. I didn't think the first one had gone through, so I tried again. Then, as with my 2017 duplicate accounts, I couldn't figure out how to delete one. :-(

Thanks for the answers. I figured there had to be a way to start over with a different file but it didn't occur to me to try the New command: I did in fact use Import; I also tried doing Open and selecting the 2007 file but that also gave me duplicates.

As for data corruption, I have never had a problem with that in either version of Quicken. I think you are correct that my issues with 2017 mainly arise from my own errors. The problem is that I have much more trouble finding the errors in 2017. This happens mostly when I'm trying to reconcile bank and credit card statements.

The other main reason I prefer 2007 is the ease of creating reports. I find that process confusing in 2017, though as you say, that is partly the result of unfamiliarity on my part. Since I use Quicken reports as the basis for both business and personal tax returns, I have to be able to trust them. Maybe I will get to that point if I practice more with 2017, but I confess to being 73 and a bit resistant to change. :-)
  • MaryLRB
    MaryLRB Member ✭✭
    For Jacobs: I just used the New command and was able to bring over my 2007 file successfully. THANK YOU!!!
  • jacobs
    @MaryLRB I'd note that some of the areas in which you say you find Quicken 2017 problematic are some of the areas of the program which have received the most attention and enhancements over the past few years. Reports are more flexible and powerful now than in Quicken 2017. And reconciliations now keep a history of every prior reconciliation, showing you anything which was changed since a reconciliation was completed, which helps a lot with solving problems during reconciliations.

I understand you may not want to pay for the annual subscription in order to use the current program. But since you're using it for your business as well as personal finances, it might be worth paying the nominal annual fee to have the latest version of the program with three years of enhancements over the versions you're using. 
This discussion has been closed.