Why a Cash Transaction does not Update the Cash Total

An investment account shows $1,824.00 as a 6/30/2021 balance. The Quicken Premier app shows $1,854.00 as the 6/30/2021 balance. Attached is a screenshot of one of two transactions for $15 each. Should these two transactions impact the Quicken app cash balance?

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @aeburger - I just came across your post thread.  Sorry to see that you have not gotten closure on this thread, yet.
    My understanding is that your investment account incurred 2 "Direct Registration Fees" of $15.00 each....a total of $30.00.  Is this correct?
    If so these 2 Withdraw transactions should decrement the Cash Balance of your investment account by a total of $30.  These 2 transactions will show up in the Account Register of your investment account and you should be able to see the cash balance decremented in the far right column of the Account Register (the one that has the header of "Cash Bal").  Are you not seeing this?
    Also, in the Edit Withdraw transaction pic you posted I noticed no a category has been assigned to it.  You should assign a category to it, perhaps Fees & Charges:Service Fee (this is a default category already in Quicken) or Fees & Charges:Registration Fee (this would be a custom category that would need to be added...just type it in the Category field and Quicken will walk you through that category set up process).
    Did this answer your question?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    :"Should these two transactions impact the Quicken app cash balance?"
    The direct answer to your direct question is "Yes."  Even without a Category - though the transaction does need a Category - those two entries of $15 should reduce the cash balance in the Account by $30. 
    Does the Account have any Placeholders in it? 

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    the cash balance in the RIGHTmost column should be $15 lower because of the transaction; however, if you are asking about a money market fund balance, it wouldn't be impacted without a corresponding 'sell' transaction out of the money market for the same $15.
  • aeburger
    aeburger Member ✭✭
    Thank you Mark for your quick reply. I do not fully understand your reply i.e. 'the cash balance in the RIGHTmost column should be $15 lower...'; which rightmost column? Here are some additional data. The account is a brokerage account holding a few individual stocks. In setting up the account it incurred the two registration fees of $15 each which I interpreted as 'administration' fees, so no offsetting transaction.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @aeburger - I just came across your post thread.  Sorry to see that you have not gotten closure on this thread, yet.
    My understanding is that your investment account incurred 2 "Direct Registration Fees" of $15.00 each....a total of $30.00.  Is this correct?
    If so these 2 Withdraw transactions should decrement the Cash Balance of your investment account by a total of $30.  These 2 transactions will show up in the Account Register of your investment account and you should be able to see the cash balance decremented in the far right column of the Account Register (the one that has the header of "Cash Bal").  Are you not seeing this?
    Also, in the Edit Withdraw transaction pic you posted I noticed no a category has been assigned to it.  You should assign a category to it, perhaps Fees & Charges:Service Fee (this is a default category already in Quicken) or Fees & Charges:Registration Fee (this would be a custom category that would need to be added...just type it in the Category field and Quicken will walk you through that category set up process).
    Did this answer your question?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    :"Should these two transactions impact the Quicken app cash balance?"
    The direct answer to your direct question is "Yes."  Even without a Category - though the transaction does need a Category - those two entries of $15 should reduce the cash balance in the Account by $30. 
    Does the Account have any Placeholders in it? 
  • aeburger
    aeburger Member ✭✭
    Thank you Boatnmaniac and Tom Young for your responses which have solved the problem. I added a Category to each of the $15 transactions and deleted a XIn transaction for $30 which I had missed earlier in my analysis. Now the Cash Balance is correct.