Stock transactions default to open when selecting "Brokerage" sub-heading in side bar

I have a portfolio with one stock and several mutual funds. When I select "Brokerage" in the side bar, the transactions for the stock are automatically displayed, but not the mutual funds. This behavior doesn't happen when selecting the "Investing" main heading, only "Brokerage". The first thing I do using "Brokerage" is to click on the stock to hide the transactions so that I see a compact list without transactions. It's getting annoying. Is this a bug of feature?

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2021
    Let me take a minute to clarify some terminology to make sure we're on the same page...

The left sidebar lists the accounts you have in Quicken, which should mirror the bank, credit card, and investing accounts you have in the real world.

In investment accounts, each one has one or more securities you hold in that account. Securities can be individual stock, bonds, mutual funds, EFTs, etc.

Back to the left sidebar: it shows each account, as well as some account groups. "Investing" is a main group headings which has two sub-groups of investing: "Brokerage" and "Retirement". Under the sub-group headings, you see the actual accounts however you have named them (e.g. "Vanguard Brokerage", "TD Ameritrade", "Fidelity investments", etc.)

When you click on Brokerage in the sidebar, the right side of the screen shows a composite of all your brokerage -- e.g. non-retirement -- accounts. If you click on Investing, it shows a composite of all your accounts, brokerage and retirement. If you click on an individual account under one of those headings, it shows just the holding in that one account.

There are two windows, selected by tabs near the top: Portfolio and Transactions. The Portfolio view shows your holdings grouped in a variety of ways, such as by account or by security, and set to reflect different data such as the value of your current holdings, their performance over time, or the gains from sales of securities. 

Okay, if you're with me through that, let's go back to your questions, which I didn't understand because of the mixed terminology. Hopefully if you can clarify one or two things, we can help point you in the right direction. ;)

I have a portfolio with one stock and several mutual funds.
    To clarify: do you have a single account with a brokerage company, in which you hold shares of one stock and several mutual fund?

If so, in the left sidebar, you should see Investing, Brokerage below that, and your account below that, something like this:

One possible source of confusion is if your account is named "Brokerage", rather than "Vanguard" or "Fidelity" or whatever. Then you'd have an account called Brokerage and a group heading called Brokerage.

When I select "Brokerage" in the side bar, the transactions for the stock are automatically displayed, but not the mutual funds... The first thing I do using "Brokerage" is to click on the stock to hide the transactions so that I see a compact list without transactions.
    This is where I got really confused. If you click Brokerage in the left sidebar, which view is selected on the right side: Portfolio or Transactions? If you're seeing a transaction register, with Buy, Sell, Reinvest Dividends, etc., then there is no place to click on the stock to hide transactions.

So I'm wondering if you're on the Portfolio screen? If so, are the filters -- the buttons below the graph -- set similar to this?

Where you see the stock, is the little triangle to the left of it pointed to the right (collapsed) like this...

... or is it pointed down with a list of one or more dates below it, like this...

If you're seeing the latter, it's showing you the individual lots (purchases) of the security, which can be relevant when you sell the stock and want to control which lots are sold because it affects your capital gains.

All that said, if you can come back and explain in detail what you're seeing, there's like an easy solution. ;)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jssmadtown
    jssmadtown Member ✭✭
    The default when selecting "Brokerage" (from anywhere else in Quicken) is arrow pointing "down" for the stock account and pointing "right" for the other accounts. Hence, the full history of the stock account are listed, which is annoying. The transactions for the stock account can be collapsed as usual by clicking on the arrow. However, when selecting "Investing" (from anywhere in Quicken), what I'd expect to be normal behavior occurs and it's just the account list (without displaying transactions) in the right portion of the window. All accounts have arrow pointing "right", and you have to click on the arrow to see the transaction history. I can of course just select "Investing" but I'm wondering why "Brokerage" has the different behavior. Is it normal or a bug?
  • jssmadtown
    jssmadtown Member ✭✭
    @jacobs. It occurred to me to try renaming the account and/or security. This fixed the problem, even when changing the name back to my originals. So some weird bug, I infer. Thanks for taking the time to reply :)
This discussion has been closed.