how do I transfer Quicken to a new computer?

Options
how do I transfer Quicken to a new computer

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The simple answer is you cannot “transfer” Quicken (or any other software for that matter) you have to install it.  For that you need the original installation file.  What version of Quicken do you have?   Where did you buy it?  Was it a download or on a DVD?   Answers to those questions will determine how you proceed.  

Once you have the software installed you can copy over your data file(s) using a thumb drive (I assume the old computer is available and working or that you have your data file backed up somewhere)
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @Earl1937 - Your profile shows that you have Windows Subscription.  Assuming your subscription has not expired it really does not matter how you originally installed Quicken on your old computer.  You can simply go to https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it and download from there.
    During installation of Quicken you will be prompted to either start a new data file or open an existing one.  Open the data file you transferred from your old computer (assumes that you already saved that data file on your new computer).  If you are asked to sign in, do so with your current Quicken ID and PW.
    Once completed you will be able to use Quicken in the new computer without having to make any changes to your data file (including to your account OSU setups and Password Vault).
    (FYI:  Once completed, I would caution you to no longer use that data file on your old computer.  If you do, you will run a very high risk of messing up the data in the file on your new computer.)

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options