Assigning Categories for Tax Line Item Description

I wish to assign a Tax Line Description to my category "Salary" , But i don't see the correct one in the drop down. W-2: Salary or Wages. Any ideas how i can find and assign it?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    You can't assign "tax line descriptions" to your categories.  The description is only there to describe what the tax line you have selected from the pulldown menu above is for.  You need to select the pulldown menu and scroll down until you find the W-2:Salary or wages, self tax line.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Henry112
    Henry112 Member ✭✭
    That’s just it though. I don’t see any of the W2 descriptions in the drip down.
  • Henry112
    Henry112 Member ✭✭
    Drop down
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Mine looks like this:

It is right after the 1040 entries that are at the top, do you see them?
    Signature:
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For salary you received?  Did you look though the whole list?  Should be near the top under 1040 items.  What version are you using?  I have Quicken 2013

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Henry112
    Henry112 Member ✭✭
    That seems to be the problem. i don't see W2 in my dropdown. Here is a picture of what i see. No W2 categories at all. I wonder why i can't see them. I'm on Quicken Deluxe R34.24 Build 27.1.34.24
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Have you ever created a Paycheck reminder.  I sort of remember at one time that some categories (and as such the tax lines) didn't get created until certain things were created like a paycheck reminder.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    I was curious - so I created a NEW File - empty - no accounts even created.
    After having Quicken for so long, and manually adding Categories + Tax Line Items - hard to guess at the "defaults"
    This is what the Category Income & Expense list looks like....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Henry112
    Henry112 Member ✭✭
    Yes, I did that just now. I created a new file and then went to the category list (defaults quicken categories I guess). I found a category "Net Salary" - it didn't have a tax line items assigned - i edited it and selected the tax related category box under the tax reporting tab. From the drop down i found all the W2 options that i don't see in my existing file. So there is something corrupted in my original file.... any clues on how to fix? Should I uninstall and reinstall maybe?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Henry112 said:
    Yes, I did that just now. I created a new file and then went to the category list (defaults quicken categories I guess). I found a category "Net Salary" - it didn't have a tax line items assigned - i edited it and selected the tax related category box under the tax reporting tab. From the drop down i found all the W2 options that i don't see in my existing file. So there is something corrupted in my original file.... any clues on how to fix? Should I uninstall and reinstall maybe?

I found the following in my notes about Quicken but I don't know if it'll help add the missing W2 tax line item entries to their respective table:

Copy Categories from one data file to another

If you have a set of categories you like in one Quicken file, you can use QIF export/import to add them to another Quicken file:
    Select File > File Export > QIF File.
    In the resulting dialog, check only Category List.
    Export the QIF, switch to your other Quicken file, and import it.

Backup your data file(s) first, in case something goes wrong.

• Henry112
    Henry112 Member ✭✭
    thank you, but when i did that the category appears but it deleted the W2 tax line item. Ugh!
This discussion has been closed.