Standard MacOS app top left buttons, close, minimum and enlarge window, out of position

zwzlife
zwzlife Member ✭✭
The three buttons at the top left of the window, which all MacOS app window have, are at the very top of the tool bar, not like the standard middle vertically position. They looks wired.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    The buttons look normal to me, but this could be specific to a version of macOS. I'm still on Mojave; what version of macOS are you using? 

Can you capture a screenshot to share here so we can see what you're seeing?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    MacOS: Big Sur
    Quicken: v6.3

I will try to upload a screenshot tomorrow.
  • jacobs
    edited August 2021
    @zwzlife For what it's worth, here's what the top left corner looks like to me on Quicken Mac 6.3 running on Mojave.

Main window:

Secondary windows, like accounts, reports and other windows:

All normal looking.

But there are definite display differences in Big Sur, and the developers need to code for the different operating systems, so I'm curious to see what you're seeing.
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Hi jacobs,
    I do not need to upload another screenshot, because your screenshot already shows it.
    Please look at your Main Window one carefully, now open another app, Safari, Mail, Notes, and most other third party apps, compare the location of the 3 buttons. You can see in Quicken, there are at the top, just half mm from the top edge, and you can easily see this is different from the other apps mentioned.

Regards,
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    This file is what I mean, Quicken, Safari, Dayone, I highlighted the top gap with red. Not a big deal, but it would be better if positioned as other standard apps, do yo agree?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I think it's just a minor cosmetic difference. I actually think it looks better this way than if the buttons were centered vertically with the three action icons. Some other apps do the same thing. For example, here's Facebook Messenger App (dark, foreground) compared with Quicken (light, background):

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    Agree! As I said not a big deal.

We can see the Quicken Dev Team has been trying hard to make the app looks more like other Mac apps, like the top blue bar is gone and dark mode is coming. Just want to bring this difference to their attention.
  • jacobs
    @zwzlife  I think the standard for Mac apps is to have the three 'traffic light' buttons a fixed distance from the top and left edge of every window. 

In this screen shot, I have four windows laid side by side. Notice the position of the three colored icons is the same in each one:

From left to right, that's Photoshop, Quicken main window, Quicken Reports window, and Mac Preview. The first and third have bottom lines, the second and fourth do not -- but all are at the same distance from the upper left corner. So I think you're incorrect in thinking the icons should be centered vertically; they should be a standard distance from the top left corner of every window. (And yes, not every developer follows the rules all the time, including Apple, so I'm sure exceptions can be found and cited; I'm just noting that I think this is the standard.)
This discussion has been closed.