HAVING PROBLEMS SYNCING VARIOUS DEVICES IN THE RIGHT ORDER

Options
soconnor
soconnor Member ✭✭
I have my Quicken files on 3 devices...a Mac in one permanent location, a Mac in another permanent location and an iPad pro that is always with me. In order not to lose entered transactions (which has now happened twice and I have had to re-enter) , is there a certain order you must follow ? I have entered transactions on my iPad Pro and then when I am at one of my desks/Mac, pressed the sync button to update the Mac with the transactions entered on the iPad and received a message saying "ONLY THE LATEST VERSION OF A FILE CAN USE QUICKEN CLOUD....................RESET QUICKEN CLOUD" which then wiped all the recent transactions entered and synced via one Mac & the iPad-pro.
I have now lost all my recent date twice so if someone can send me an "order of events" so I know what I have to do in what order I would be most appreciative !
Thanks
Stephanie

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    You cannot have a Quicken data file on two Macs and sync between them; that's your problem here. Sync is only designed to work between the mobile app or web interface (your iPad) and a Quicken data file stored on a Mac's hard drive.

In order to bring a second Mac into the mix, you must transfer the data file between the two Macs. It's important that you copy either a .zip file using the Finder Compress command or a .quickenbackup file, never the actual .quicken data file, or file permission problems may lock you out of the file. You can copy the file the way you'd move any file between the two Macs:
    • Airdrop between the two computers
    • Copy to a flash drive and take to the other computer
    • macOS File sharing between the two computers
    • Email a copy to yourself and download on the other computer
    • Upload to Dropbox or iCloud from one computer; download onto the other computer
    It sounds like a bit of a pain, but if you get in the habit of always uploading/copying your data file when you quit Quicken, so you can use it on the other computer when the need arises, you'll find this adds only a few seconds to your workflow after you've done it a few times. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    You cannot have a Quicken data file on two Macs and sync between them; that's your problem here. Sync is only designed to work between the mobile app or web interface (your iPad) and a Quicken data file stored on a Mac's hard drive.

In order to bring a second Mac into the mix, you must transfer the data file between the two Macs. It's important that you copy either a .zip file using the Finder Compress command or a .quickenbackup file, never the actual .quicken data file, or file permission problems may lock you out of the file. You can copy the file the way you'd move any file between the two Macs:
    • Airdrop between the two computers
    • Copy to a flash drive and take to the other computer
    • macOS File sharing between the two computers
    • Email a copy to yourself and download on the other computer
    • Upload to Dropbox or iCloud from one computer; download onto the other computer
    It sounds like a bit of a pain, but if you get in the habit of always uploading/copying your data file when you quit Quicken, so you can use it on the other computer when the need arises, you'll find this adds only a few seconds to your workflow after you've done it a few times. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • soconnor
    soconnor Member ✭✭
    Options
    That makes sense…thanks so much @jacobs for such a comprehensive response ….I understand what I need to do now
This discussion has been closed.