Automatic backup without closing Quicken

I use Quicken several times a day, so I keep it running 24/7. I would like to have Quicken automatically backed up every x hours, without having to close/reopen Quicken.

In the automatic backup settings in Quicken, I only see an option to automatically back up when running Quicken every x times. That doesn't work for me, since I rarely close Quicken.

I have tried using other backup software to automatically back up the .QDF file on a schedule, but that fails because the file is "in use".

If you can do a manual backup without closing/opening Quicken, why can't it do an automatic backup without closing/opening it? If I have to manually close Quicken just to back it up, then I might as well be doing manual backups, with defeats the purpose of automatic backups.

Does anyone else have a solution for what I'm trying to accomplish?
Tagged:

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't you just do a Ctrl+B to make a manual backup?  I know you want to backup automatically but this should be close.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the Quicken Manual Backup, Quicken closes the date file, does the backup, then reopens the file, so Quicken isn't doing anything special that you can't do.
    Since the Manual Backup only appends the date to the file name, multiple backups on the same day would require your intervention to respond to the "overwrite" existing file question that Windows would then ask.  Wouldn't be very automatic so you might as well do the Cntl+B yourself at opportune times.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• joemjr2
    joemjr2 Member
    I want it to be automatic, so that I don't forget. Once per day is fine, so in that case, there shouldn't be a date conflict. Even if it were more than once per day, it could either add consecutive numbers to the end of the filename each time, or add a timestamp to the filename.

If Quicken is able to close the file and reopen it when you do a manual backup, it should be able to do that for an automatic backup as well.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then you need to start a new post as an IDEA and be very specific as to what you would like added to Quicken.  Don't be vague, online loans is an example of getting something that met some vague requirements but IMO is a failure.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    joemjr2 said:
    I use Quicken several times a day, so I keep it running 24/7. I would like to have Quicken automatically backed up every x hours, without having to close/reopen Quicken.
    Personally I believe that this is a very bad policy (leaving Quicken open 24/7), could lead to corruption of the data file and other problems.  And even though Quicken isn't the fastest program to start, it shouldn't take more than say 10 seconds.  Hardly worth the risks in my opinion.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.