Quick search with date range doesn't give correct range information

ksrothschild
ksrothschild Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2022 in Reports (Windows)
At the top of the checking account register - when I type in a specific keyword and filtered it with a date range, I do get the desired transactions with that keyword within the filtered date range. However, the balance at the far right does not reflect the amounts within the date range. (It seems that it includes other transactions) How do I get the correct filtered range balance. Thank you...

Best Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and reporting this issue to us, though I apologize for the inconvenience this issue may cause in the meantime.

I just tested this issue myself and received the same result. So, I will go ahead and submit a bug report for this to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution.

Unfortunately, we won't have an ETA on this, however, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future update release.

Thank you for your patience and for bringing awareness to this issue!

(CTP-2451)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    You're welcome!

-Quicken Anja

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    WAD or BAD?
    A quick test using my data file (Q R 34.24) filters the correct number of transactions within the specified Date Range.
    However, the Running Balance does not start at zero, as I would have expected. It starts with the actual register balance of the first selected transaction and then adds all other transaction amounts to this incorrect starting balance.
    I would have expected the running balance of the first transaction to be -3.81 and then take it from there, in order to arrive at a correct total of all selected transactions, -47.19.

The answer to @ksrothschild 's question about getting a correct total amount can be found in Reports & Graphs Center. Create a "How much did I pay to ..." Easy Answer Report, select the Payee, select the Date Range, subtotal by Account (and/or select only the desired accounts).
  • ksrothschild
    ksrothschild Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you... but no... this is not what I wanted to do... I am aware of the "alternative", but I want a quick "look see" right there at the register without going to the Reports & Graphs Center.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me see if I can shake a few trees at Quicken. This does indeed look like a bug to me that needs fixing.
    Stay tuned.
  • ksrothschild
    ksrothschild Member ✭✭✭
    That would be GREAT!!! It will make more sense that way!!! Thanks!!! ;-)
  • Quicken Anja
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and reporting this issue to us, though I apologize for the inconvenience this issue may cause in the meantime.

I just tested this issue myself and received the same result. So, I will go ahead and submit a bug report for this to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution.

Unfortunately, we won't have an ETA on this, however, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future update release.

Thank you for your patience and for bringing awareness to this issue!

(CTP-2451)

-Quicken Anja

• ksrothschild
    ksrothschild Member ✭✭✭
    THANK YOU!!! I appreciate this answer and I look forward to having this fixed!!! ;-)
  • Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    You're welcome!

-Quicken Anja

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think this is a bug. There is already existing functionality that enables you to quickly see the total of selected transactions. 

Whether the account register is sorted or filtered or not, you can always use Windows standard selection methods to select a set of transactions. The total for the selected transactions is then shown at the lower left of the account register. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The "bug" is, if it is all, has to do with the fact that the Quicken developers tried to satisfy the "MS Money" people.

The original design of Quicken registers was a "report".  As in if you filtered the transactions the running balance would be just from the transactions you see.  That is the way it was until a few years ago.

For people using MS Money which were use to being able to see the running balance of any given transaction wouldn't change no matter how you filtered the account.

In other words in the past Quicken totaled what you see, and MS Money's running balance was "saved", the running balance on the X transaction would never change.

To try to satisfy this MS Money crowd the Quicken developers changed the behavior to start using the balance of the last transaction that isn't in the filtering (or the opening balance if that is one in the filtering).
    Quicken is still calculating the running balance on the transactions that are shown.

This works in some cases, but creates strange results in others.

Filter by Last 12 Months, and you will see that the running balance starts with the value of the transaction that was right before the first transaction.  And then it calculates from there, giving what the MS Money crowd expects, but not what the old Quicken filter behavior was, which is to say only calculate what is seen.  And as @mshiggins points out this compromise was consider pretty good since you can use the multiple select and look at the total at the bottom left.

But this only works well when the remaining transactions are continuous.  As soon as you do any filtering that makes the transaction non continuous then you get results that don't make sense in either the "MS Money" world or the old Quicken register as a report mode thinking.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.