PSECU - issues between DC and EWC

Joe Magid
Joe Magid Member ✭✭
PSECU support says that either Express Web-Connect (EWC) or Direct Connect (DC) are valid methods for downloading transactions. I used to use DC and changed to EWC a while ago. I don't know quite how or when, but Quicken changed the connection back to DC.

I did a successful download on 8/7. It is failing now.

When I run the trouble shooter, it asks for my password to verify it is working, the Add an Account window pops up asking for credentials for PayPal ??!!

When I try to add a new PSECU account, it asks for my credentials, starts looking for my accounts and comes back saying it needs login information to connect and wants to use DC to do so, but EWC is supposed to be a valid option (as noted above).

I believe EWC should be the first option it tries. Since EWC does not appear to be an option, it looks to me to be a Quicken Server-side issue.

PSECU level 1 support has logged a ticket to their IT shop, but this will not be high priority on their end. It would be great if someone on the Quicken side could take a look to see what's going on.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, the Direct Connect connection should be the preferred connection method when available.

We are able to choose the connection method by selecting Advanced Options:

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Joe Magid said:
    I believe EWC should be the first option it tries. Since EWC does not appear to be an option, it looks to me to be a Quicken Server-side issue.

PSECU level 1 support has logged a ticket to their IT shop, but this will not be high priority on their end. It would be great if someone on the Quicken side could take a look to see what's going on.
    Hello @Joe Magid

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback with the community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

When updating accounts, Quicken is designed to attempt to connect with the best connection method available for that financial institution.

In most cases, Direct Connect is the preferred connection method as it does not rely on using an aggregation server to obtain transaction data, but is instead a 'direct' one to one connection from Quicken to your financial institution.

Most Users report improved connections when using the Direct Connect method versus using the Express Web Connect option, which does use an aggregation server and a once-a-night screen scrape attempt to gather your transaction data.

Due to this, Quicken will default to the Direct Connect method when it is available.  Of course, as mentioned by @Sherlock above, the method may be changed at any time in the Advanced Options.

I hope this information helps to explain Quicken's behavior a little better and please let the community know if there are any further questions/concerns that we may assist with.

Thank you again,

Sarah

• Joe Magid
    Joe Magid Member ✭✭
    Sara - that's fine, and I appreciate @Sherlock's reminder about the advanced button as I had forgotten about that.

However, it doesn't change the fact that Direct Connect is failing and it very much looks like the failure is because the Quicken Server is forwarding connect requests to PayPal and not PSECU for a PSECU request.

In the meantime, I'll see if Express Web Connect will at least work.

Thanks - Joe
  • Joe Magid
    Joe Magid Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    @Quicken Sarah @Sherlock - I was able to change to Express Web Connect, though during the process, Quicken prompted me for PayPal credentials several times, which again points to a configuration issue for PSECU on the Quicken side.

I was able to cancel each prompt and the EWC connections continued to process correctly.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hello @Joe Magid

Thank you for the update and confirming that the account is updating correctly through the EWC method.   The prompt for PayPal credentials when using Direct Connect for PSECU is definitely not correct and should not occur. 

In an attempt to better understand what is happening, I attempted to replicate this behavior in my personal data file, using fake login credentials for PSECU.

Unfortunately, I was not able to replicate the PayPal prompts, so I do have a few additional questions.

To clarify, your account(s) with PSECU were deactivated from downloads and you were attempting to reactivate the connection  when the PayPal credential prompt appeared - is that correct?

If the accounts were not deactivated, did the PayPal prompts appear when performing a One Step Update or Update Now for the PSECU accounts?

When you say, "When I run the trouble shooter, it asks for my password to verify it is working", can you clarify what "troubleshooter" you are running.
    • Are you receiving a login error during the One Step Update process and clicking on the button to correct the login information?
    • Or, are you selecting the "reset account" button in the Account Details > Online Services tab window?
    Do you currently, or have you ever, added PayPal accounts to your Quicken data file?

Which financial institution name did you select from the list?  PSECU or the PSE Credit Union option?

And lastly, what release version of Quicken are you using?  If you aren't sure, this information is available in the Help menu > About Quicken.

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • Joe Magid
    Joe Magid Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Sarah I'll do my best to respond to your questions.

"To clarify, your account(s) with PSECU were deactivated from downloads and you were attempting to reactivate the connection when the PayPal credential prompt appeared - is that correct?"

No. They were not deactivated.

"If the accounts were not deactivated, did the PayPal prompts appear when performing a One Step Update or Update Now for the PSECU accounts?"

No.

"When you say, "When I run the trouble shooter, it asks for my password to verify it is working", can you clarify what "troubleshooter" you are running."

I ran Update Transactions for PSECU accounts. It failed. I then selected the "Fix Issue" (or similar) button on the One Step Summary pop-up window which showed the update as having failed.

"Are you receiving a login error during the One Step Update process and clicking on the button to correct the login information?"

As per above, yes, if "the button to correct login information" is the same button as my reference above. Either way, the first step in that 'fix' process then failed saying the login credentials were not correct (they were correct). It then asked me to put in my credentials and attempt to log into the PSECU account (server?). At that point the PayPal connection window opened up.

"Or, are you selecting the "reset account" button in the Account Details > Online Services tab window?"

That was the next thing I tried and that also resulted in the PayPal window opening.

"Do you currently, or have you ever, added PayPal accounts to your Quicken data file?"

Not currently and I'm pretty sure not ever.

"Which financial institution name did you select from the list? PSECU or the PSE Credit Union option?"

PSECU

"And lastly, what release version of Quicken are you using? If you aren't sure, this information is available in the Help menu > About Quicken."

See png inserted.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    just following along.... can't imagine how or why a prompt from Paypal would be part of this ....
    What kind of accounts do you have at PSECU - as the DC doesn't seem to list Credit - weird -
    Here are the 2 entries for PSE - which one are you using ?
    Which financial institution name did you select from the list?
    PSECU or PSE Credit Union ?
    Answer ---> PSECU
    06890    06890    06890    PSECU    https://www.psecu.com/    1-800-237-7328    https://homebank.psecu.com    ACTIVE    ACCOUNTINFO,BANKING&DIRECT   
    BANKING&WEB-CONNECT        
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT  
    19581    19581    19581    PSE Credit Union    http://www.psecreditunion.org/    440.843.8300    https://www.netit.financial-net.com/psecreditunion    ACTIVE        
    BANKING&WEB-CONNECT        
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Quicken Sarah
    Hello @Joe Magid

Thank you for the responses and answers to my questions.  Based on the information provided, it sounds as though one or more of the accounts may think they are setup for downloading with PayPal instead of the correct financial institution.

In this situation, I would recommend deactivating every account you hold with PSECU in your Quicken data file.

Once the accounts have been deactivated, close and re-open Quicken.  This forces the program to write the changes and save that the accounts were deactivated.

With Quicken open once again, go to the Tools menu >Add Account option to reactivate the accounts. Be sure to select the EWC option from the Advanced Options settings and link the accounts to their already existing account names in Quicken.

Please let us know how it goes, if you receive an error at any point, or if the accounts add and update as expected.

If they do, please perform another One Step Update and let us know if you receive an invalid login error with the prompt to fix it again, or does the update complete normally?

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Joe Magid
    Joe Magid Member ✭✭
    @Ps56k2 I'm using the correct bank - PSECU. Everything had been working just fine for a while so it isn't anything I changed setting wise. Granted I've had to disconnect/reconnect more than a few times over the past year or so, but something seems to have happened in the bowels of the processing stream.

@Quicken Sarah - I deactivated, cleared out the UID/account # info from each account and reconnected. Everything seems to be good at this point. No PayPal pop-ups.

I note that the Online Services tab "recently" added an information box about the available "improved connection method" to change from Express to Direct. I think similar prompts/links show up elsewhere as well. No idea if that has anything to do with it, but...

I will do my best to keep an eye on things, especially if the connection method were to magically change again (and to make sure I don't inadvertently select one of those "suggestions"...).

Thanks for your help.
  • Quicken Sarah
    @Joe Magid - yay!  I'm glad to hear that that cleared up the PayPal prompt and appreciate your posting back with the update.

If anything does change, or if there's any other questions/concerns the community may assist with, please do not hesitate to let us know.  Thanks again! - Sarah
  • mbarrett635
    mbarrett635 Member ✭✭
    I thought this problem was fixed, but it's back again! The last time, after spending hours on the phone and sending in multiple sets of files, I wound up having to start a brand new file (which means, although I haven't lost my old information, I don't have ready access to the years of records the old file contains). Am I going to have to do it again? Starting a new file also meant downloading three months of records, and having to go through them (either accepting or deleting). When will you get this fixed?
This discussion has been closed.