Automatic Transaction Entry Status Shows For Only Some Accounts

I've been a Quicken user since the 90's and a few weeks ago I made the switch to "Automatic Transaction Entry." I've got several accounts at different banking institutions.

When I perform a one step update, some of the accounts correctly show "New" in the status column for the newly downloaded transactions into the register, but other accounts do not show anything in the Status column even though new transactions were downloaded into their corresponding register. This causes problems because I don't know the new transactions that I need to review.

I'm running Quicken Deluxe version R34.24, Build 27.1.34.24. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to disable Auto reconcile for these registers: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab, uncheck Reconcile using online balance, and select OK
  • scottschmok
    scottschmok Member ✭✭
    Hi Sherlock, the auto reconcile box is unchecked in the online services, but I notice that the new transactions have an "R" in the Clr column that I think indicates they they have been auto reconciled. Seems like that is a problem too right?
  • scottschmok
    scottschmok Member ✭✭
    OK I think Sherlock is on to something. I just downloaded transactions and for a split second the account showed "New" in the new transactions, and then it went away and I think it is because the account is auto reconciling. Would there be a reason it is auto reconciling even if I have the "Reconcile using online balance" box unchecked?
  • scottschmok
    scottschmok Member ✭✭
    Sorry for all the posts, but found a few more pieces of information. In my one step update settings, the account I'm having problems with has "Download latest cleared transactions and balances" and "Bring my payment information up to date" boxes both checked. They shouldn't have anything to do with auto reconciling but want to provide as much info as possible.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Sherlock, the auto reconcile box is unchecked in the online services, but I notice that the new transactions have an "R" in the Clr column that I think indicates they they have been auto reconciled. Seems like that is a problem too right?
    You might want to toggle the setting just in case.

Are these transactions transfers?  We've noted before, when we accept a transfer transaction in one register, they're also accepted in the other.
  • scottschmok
    scottschmok Member ✭✭
    I'll toggle the box and see what happens. There may be a few transfers but they are mostly deposits, withdrawls, cashed checks, etc.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I think automatic transaction entry mode and automatic reconcile should be mutually exclusive options.

In Quicken Windows whenever you edit a transaction or reconcile a transaction the New/New Match status is cleared.

So with both of these options on the flow is like this:

1. Transactions are downloaded.
    2. Transactions are automatically entered into the register with the New/New Match status set.
    3. Automatic reconcile kicks in, and as long as the amounts match properly all those transactions are marked reconciled and the status is cleared.
    The BIG flaw in this flow is that reconciling doesn't ensure that the payee or category is correct, only the amount.  That is why you are suppose to use either the Review or the Accept process to check those things.  So these don't work right together.

Note that Quicken Mac just got automatic reconcile, and it doesn't have the manual accept process, but they do this differently.  For them reconciling doesn't clear the New/New Match status so they can still review their transactions after the automatic reconcile.

Personally I use the automatic transaction entry mode, but with automatic reconcile off.  And once I have reviewed the transactions to have the right payees/categories I then kick off reconcile to the online balance and usually just have to click Done.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • scottschmok
    scottschmok Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the input Sherlock and Chris. The "reconcile using online balance" box is unchecked. Doesn't that mean that auto reconcile is turned off?

I've checked the box, exited quicken, and unchecked the box to see if the software was "hung" somehow, but the account continues to auto reconcile when I have the box unchecked. Any ideas?
  • scottschmok
    scottschmok Member ✭✭
    FYI I'm having the problem with a checking account. I have the exact same settings for a visa account for the same bank and the visa account auto enters but does not auto reconcile.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input Sherlock and Chris. The "reconcile using online balance" box is unchecked. Doesn't that mean that auto reconcile is turned off?

I've checked the box, exited quicken, and unchecked the box to see if the software was "hung" somehow, but the account continues to auto reconcile when I have the box unchecked. Any ideas?
    You could try toggling the Online Services.  If that doesn't do it, I suggest recreating the register:  To create a new register to replace the original register going forward, you would deactivate the Online Services of the original register, create a new offline register, move the transactions from the original register to the new register, reset any memorized payees and reminders, delete the original register, rename the new register, and setup the Online Services for the new register. 

Note: Before making any significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B