Can I recategorize multiple transactions at once

deex2
deex2 Member ✭✭
I have multiple entries/transactions that need to be re-categorized, to the same category. I was wondering if there is a way, if so how, can I re-categorize them at one time vs doing it one by one?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's FIND/Replace ... but do the existing transactions have anything in common that you could search on for the "Find"?
    Or, perhaps, do a number of them have that commonality, so that you'd have to do multiple Find/Replace operations?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can pull up a banking transactions report, customize as needed, highlight (select) multiple transactions, and then click the Edit button to recategorize the selected transactions. 
  • deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    Thank you, I want to make these changes in an active data/file that I am using. Will making these changes in 'reports" as you mention make those changes in an active file?
  • deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    > @q_lurker said:
    > You can pull up a banking transactions report, customize as needed, highlight (select) multiple transactions, and then click the Edit button to recategorize the selected transactions. 
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes those are the real transactions in the report.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    volvogirl said:
    Yes those are the real transactions in the report.

Agree, so much so,m that if you delete a transaction in a report, it is GONE.
    Whatever you do, make a BACKUP FIRST.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• diggydog2
    diggydog2 Member ✭✭
    This doesn't work for me. Recategorize is grayed out. I have to recategorize transactions one at a time. Is there some other method that will do several transactions simultaneously?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    diggydog2 said:
    This doesn't work for me. Recategorize is grayed out. I have to recategorize transactions one at a time. Is there some other method that will do several transactions simultaneously?
    Assuming you are saying the Banking Transactions Report is showing the grayed out option — 
    Do you have one or more transactions selected that have splits transactions assigned? Such transactions cannot be recategorized that way. 

It may also be that transfer transactions cannot be recategorized that way. (Can’t confirm that currently.)  Are any of those involved?
This discussion has been closed.