how to show share value in account summary

I have shares showing in my account plus a cash value. The cash value shows as the account value total. My shares show as $0 value. I just cant figure out how to get the shares quoted values to show,

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Jumbo10

Can you provide a little more information so that we can understand the question better and thereby provide the most helpful response?

Here are my questions:

• What type of account is this and what is the name of the financial institution that holds the account?
    • How did you set-up the account in Quicken - what type of account did you use?  
    • What type of shares do you own (are they stocks, mutual funds, something else)? 
    • Are they publicly traded or are they private company shares and do you know the current per-share values?
    Get back to me and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Jumbo10
    Jumbo10 Member
    This is account i set up with a non traded REIT. I am using the subscription Q Premier. All i want to do is enter the per share value manually and have it shown in the share balance total. It currently shows Security Value as $0. But it has securities.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    One way to enter the share price is to go to Tools > Security List and click on the security's name. This will show the Security Detail page for the security.

Click on More then Edit Price History. This will give you the ability to enter a series of historical prices for one security.

If you have the price history in a CSV file, there is a way to import the data. 

If you just want to enter today's prices for an account, you can click on Holdings in the account and enter the data directly in the Price column. To enter prices for a different date, change the As of date at the top right of the Holdings view.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Jumbo10

I can't tell whether you have setup this non-traded REIT as a security in your Quicken file.  If you haven't then that is the first step you need to take.  

• Go to - "Tools" > "Security List" > "Add Security":
    • At the bottom of the pop-up - click on "Click Here";
    • Fill in the box for the "Name" of the REIT and select "Other" for the type;
    • Fill on the "other Details" on the following screen and click "Done"
    Once you do that, you can open the new security in the "Security List" and click on the "More" button.  Then click on "Edit price history" which will open a window where you can manually emter the price history for the REIT.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Jumbo10
    Jumbo10 Member
    edited August 2021
    Sorry for the late response. I appreciate both of your attempts to help.
    I have shares showing in my account. I have historical prices on the list. The security was listed. But the account value shows as 0. I have tried all ways I can think of to get the value to show. [Removed - Speculation]
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI @Jumbo10,

Thanks for getting back to me, and I am sorry, but I am having difficulty understanding what may be going on. 

You said "I have historical prices on the list" - are those "historical prices" current or are they from a prior time frame (or for certain dates) when you bought or sold shares in the past, but perhaps not current?  When you hold a "non-traded investment - such as your REIT investment - you will need to manually enter the trading prices (either daily or at least occasionally) in order for Quicken to show the value in your accounts.

Please let me know if you have followups or can provide more information.

Frankx

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Jumbo10 said:
    This is account i set up with a non traded REIT.
    As mentioned above - you could setup a virtual Security to represent the "holding" being held in the REIT.
    Then - you need to enter the pricing of that virtual security as time goes on - giving it a historical price list.
    And then, of course, the Account is setup to reflect the physical accounting statement
    and there is only one security in the account - the virtual one...
    There might be other ways of handling a "manual account" - but this is how I have done it for 529 and other manual equities held in an "manual account" setup with Quicken.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting to the basics, for this type of situation I would:
    a) set up a manual security. I like to give all securities a ticker so manual ones get a made-up ticker and I make sure the security list opts out of the Download Quotes. 
    b) create an off line investment account
    c) transfer cash into the account
    d) buy shares of the REIT security. Cash in account goes to zero. Market value of the security goes to whatever you paid. 
    e) as time passes, update the quote for the security share price using a holding or portfolio view. 
    HTH