Version R34.24 locks file with password - Where to find other versions of Quicken ?

Barry Cooper
Barry Cooper Member ✭✭
The latest version of Quicken no longer recognizes the password on my Quicken File. The Forgot Password link does not do anything. I read an article which recommends installing the previous version of Quicken to open the file then remove the password and then installing the latest version again. However, I cant find anywhere where I can download any version other than the latest. How do I access my locked file? I am a subscription user.

Answers

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Barry I'm not positive if it will work, but go to Preferences > Quicken ID.... at bottom of list, then go to Blue link over on the right side "Sign in as a different user". re-sign in and see if that helps. Give me a thumbs up if it works!
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""Barry Cooper" ,

Get into the habit of posting more details. With that said, review the following:

The Phone is to my house number, not the Smart Cell Phone.
    I clicked to Email me a code instead to, instead.
    You only get one shot to enter the Passcode. Do not copy and paste. It must be typed in.

Once the Passcode is successful, it removes the password from the file and sets the process to:
    "Use this data file without a password".

Get into the habit of doing Manual Backups of your Data File. Every time you add transactions to the Data File.

Questions?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Barry Cooper
    Barry Cooper Member ✭✭
    > @TTSguy said:
    > Barry I'm not positive if it will work, but go to Preferences > Quicken ID.... at bottom of list, then go to Blue link over on the right side "Sign in as a different user". re-sign in and see if that helps. Give me a thumbs up if it works!

@TTSguy I tried this, but unfortunately Quicken still reports that the password on the file is incorrect (it is not) and the Forgot password link still does not do anything. Any other ideas? I fortunately have the backup that Quicken made when it upgraded from the old version (33.24) and oddly that backup file opens with the password.
  • Barry Cooper
    Barry Cooper Member ✭✭
    Thanks @thecreator but as I mentioned, the Forgot password link does not work. nothing happens when I click on it and so I can not get to the "Verify your identity" screen
  • Barry Cooper
    Barry Cooper Member ✭✭
    Actually, I remember now that I do not have a password on the FILE at all (i get confused between the File password and the Quicken account password). So what has happened is that after Quicken upgraded to 33.24, it made a backup copy of the file and created a new file for 33.24. That new file 33.24 appears now to have a password which I did not set and I am unable to access because the "Forgot Password" link does not work. However, I can access the backup copy of the file in the new version of quicken which still did not have a password.

So the help i need is as follows: How can I get the Forgot Password link to work so I can verify identify in order to remove the password that Quicken set on the upgraded file?
  • thecreator
    Actually, I remember now that I do not have a password on the FILE at all (i get confused between the File password and the Quicken account password). So what has happened is that after Quicken upgraded to 33.24, it made a backup copy of the file and created a new file for 33.24. That new file 33.24 appears now to have a password which I did not set and I am unable to access because the "Forgot Password" link does not work. However, I can access the backup copy of the file in the new version of quicken which still did not have a password.

So the help i need is as follows: How can I get the Forgot Password link to work so I can verify identify in order to remove the password that Quicken set on the upgraded file?
    Hi @""Barry Cooper" ,

Does the Window that you see have your User ID, which is your Email Address and a blank field for where you enter your User ID password? If not, please take a screenshot of that Window. And attach it to a reply here in this thread.

Can you access your Account at: https://www.quicken.com/ Hover your Mouse Pointer over Sign In and under My Account, click SIGN IN.

Make sure that your User ID and password combination works.

Note: Quicken may be just asking you, to verify your Quicken User ID and Password, which you think is a File Password.

You might have a corrupt installation of Quicken, because the latest is Version 34.24.

See this procedure to fix, which is a FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    it's probably the bug that adds a password to file - and there is no way around it -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Barry Cooper
    Barry Cooper Member ✭✭
    > @thecreator said:
    > Hi @""Barry Cooper" ,
    >
    > Does the Window that you see have your User ID, which is your Email Address and a blank field for where you enter your User ID password? If not, please take a screenshot of that Window. And attach it to a reply here in this thread.
    >
    > Can you access your Account at: https://www.quicken.com/ Hover your Mouse Pointer over Sign In and under My Account, click SIGN IN.
    >
    > Make sure that your User ID and password combination works.
    >
    >  Note: Quicken may be just asking you, to verify your Quicken User ID and Password, which you think is a File Password.
    >
    > You might have a corrupt installation of Quicken, because the latest is Version 34.24.
    >
    > See this procedure to fix, which is a FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Thanks for all the ideas.

1. The window that asks for my password on the Data File does not show my user id, but it asks for the file password (see attached image)

2. I can access my account at www.quicken.com and yes my user ID and password combination works (but that's for my account and not for the file)

3. I do have 34.24 installed, however the backup FILE that was created has a suffix ***R-33.24-2021-07-22. I assumed this was created at the time of the upgrade (maybe on July 22) and that the PREVIOUS version of Quicken was 33.24, hence the suffix.

4. I have also tried installing Quicken from scratch on another computer and trying to access the same file and I get exactly the same issue.

It does appear that as part of the upgrade to 34.24, Quicken added a password to the "migrated" file which is unknown to me and now I can not access the file because the "Forgot Password" button does nothing.
  • Barry Cooper
    Barry Cooper Member ✭✭
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > it's probably the bug that adds a password to file - and there is no way around it -
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20192117/#Comment_20192117

Thanks @Ps56k2 , yes it does appear to be the same issue. However, Quicken seem to think they solved the issue based on this post yet for me I have the latest version and it is not solved. Any idea how I let them know this?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Barry Cooper said:  However, Quicken seem to think they solved the issue based on this post yet for me I have the latest version and it is not solved.
    I'll have to find the other expanded posting -
    but the R34.24 does NOT fix the issue - merely prevents it from happening in the future - there is no fix -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• thecreator
    > @thecreator said:
    > Hi @""Barry Cooper" ,
    >
    > Does the Window that you see have your User ID, which is your Email Address and a blank field for where you enter your User ID password? If not, please take a screenshot of that Window. And attach it to a reply here in this thread.
    >
    > Can you access your Account at: https://www.quicken.com/ Hover your Mouse Pointer over Sign In and under My Account, click SIGN IN.
    >
    > Make sure that your User ID and password combination works.
    >
    >  Note: Quicken may be just asking you, to verify your Quicken User ID and Password, which you think is a File Password.
    >
    > You might have a corrupt installation of Quicken, because the latest is Version 34.24.
    >
    > See this procedure to fix, which is a FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Thanks for all the ideas.

1. The window that asks for my password on the Data File does not show my user id, but it asks for the file password (see attached image)

2. I can access my account at www.quicken.com and yes my user ID and password combination works (but that's for my account and not for the file)

3. I do have 34.24 installed, however the backup FILE that was created has a suffix ***R-33.24-2021-07-22. I assumed this was created at the time of the upgrade (maybe on July 22) and that the PREVIOUS version of Quicken was 33.24, hence the suffix.

4. I have also tried installing Quicken from scratch on another computer and trying to access the same file and I get exactly the same issue.

It does appear that as part of the upgrade to 34.24, Quicken added a password to the "migrated" file which is unknown to me and now I can not access the file because the "Forgot Password" button does nothing.
    Hi @""Barry Cooper" ,

What happens when you click Cancel, instead of clicking on Forgot Password link?

On the other computer that you installed Quicken from scratch, did you click I'm upgrading and click to Restore, rather than open an existing file?

Use File Explorer and rename your current Quicken Data File to simply BCopper 2021.

Don't use apostrophes in the name. Then Open Quicken. Click File then click Open and open the renamed file, rather than simply clicking on the renamed file to open it.

Now see if Forgot Password link now works?

You were clicking on Backup files to open them and when you do it that way, it does not give you the option to overwrite  your existing file.

Restore a Backup File, gives you the option to rename the resulting file.