How do I Change a Name of a Report Created with a Template Report

lov2krz
lov2krz Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Mac)
I have created a specialized monthly report for showing shared expenses, which required extensive customization and time, and I don't really want to do that every month. 

What I do now is open the older report and change the dates to Last Month which instantly generates an updated report.  The problem is It's still titled with last month's report name.  Right-clicking on the title does not bring up a change dialog box.

I know there should be an easy way to do this.
Thanks,
Steven

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    There are two type of reports in Quicken Mac at this time: a handful of "old" reports which are carry-overs from the 2010-era Quicken Essentials program which was used as the code code for the modern Quicken Mac, and "new" reports which use a reports engine created a few years ago. Eventually, all the old reports will be re-coded and the old reports all be removed, but for now, we have this split world.

Of course, nothing really announced what's a "new" or "old" report; however, in the Reports screen, any report with a color icon is a "new" report and any with a gray icon are "old" reports. (One exception: the Tax Schedule report is an old report, but it has a color icon.) You can also tell which type of report you have by looking at the menu line under the title: a "new" report includes "view" and "Delete" buttons which are absent from "old" reports.

I give you that background only because the way to rename a report depends on whether it's a "new" report or "old" report.

For an "old" report, go the Reports screen. Click on My Reports to locate your report. Click once on the name of the report, then click on the name again to make it editable. (It's the same as you would rename a file on your desktop or a Finder window.) Or Control-Click on the report title and select Rename.

For a "new" report, you can rename it the same way, but there's an even easier way: open the report and click on the title; it becomes editable, and a blue Save button appear to the right of the title. If you have a "new" report, click Duplicate, edit the name, and click Save; a dialog box will ask you to confirm that you want to save this as a new custom report. Remember to first duplicate the report, then rename it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • lov2krz
    lov2krz Member ✭✭
    Jacobs, thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately neither method works on my older report or a new report I just created.  BTW, I'm using the subscription Quicken for Mac Version 6.2.2 (Build 602.39004.100) MOS 11.5

Neither technique works, double-clicking, right-clicking, slow clicking.  I've attached a copy of each, new and old, and even the save option is grayed out.  The only time is turns black is if I edit details in the sections, and then it only save the same name, does not allow an edit to the file name.

I'm willing to try any suggestions.

Thanks,
    Steven

Thanks,
    Steven
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Steven, are you trying to edit the name in the report? As I explained, for reports using the old reports engine -- which is what you show in these screen shots -- you rename the report on the main Reports screen, not in the report itself.

I'd also strongly encourage you to switch to using the new reports, Transaction or Summary reports. There are various problems with the old category summary report which don't exist int he modern reports engine. They'r also much more flexible in setting g columns of the reports.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.