Is there a way to remove a batch of downloaded transactions

Like others in this forum, I sometimes find duplicate transactions downloaded from my financial sites. When I recognize the duplicates before using "accept" or "accept all" I want to delete them as a batch. I have multiple accounts with hundreds of duplicate transactions each that I want to avoid having to delete one-by-one. Is there a way to do this?

I'm on Windows 10 using Quicken Premier R34.24 Build 27.1.34.24

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    HI @mhymowitz,

Sorry to hear that you are having this issue.  I assume that you are dealing with the aftermath of the Schwab changes...

If so I suggest that you review some of the other recent message threads (search on "Schwab"), because others have made comments on things that have made the process easier.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• tanapoli
    tanapoli Member ✭✭
    Thanks. The process sounds promising but the option to sort an investment register by anything other than transaction date (oldest or newest first) isn't available. Maybe there is a configuration option I can't find to enable additional register fields?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tanapoli
    You didn't mention investment accounts, those instructions don't apply to investment accounts.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @tanapoli,

Just to get some more information that may help us to assist you with this problem, can you help us to understand why/how you are downloading "hundreds of duplicate transactions" into your investment accounts?  In my experience I have seen duplicate transactions often from credit card accounts, and sometimes in other types of accounts where there have been lapses in connections, but never hundreds of transactions.

Any additional information may help us to provide some additional help.

Thanks.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• tanapoli
    tanapoli Member ✭✭
    @Frankx, Thanks for your reply.

I don't know exactly how it happened. I've had various problems downloading transactions from both banking and investment sites over the years I used Quicken, but this time it was shortly after rebuilding my PC (Win10) and installing a fresh copy of Quicken (same version as before the rebuild). I had an up-to-date Quicken data file backed up so I didn't anticipate problems. Wish I could describe the sequence of steps better, but now I have a big cleanup task ahead of me.

On a couple of the smaller messes (~200 transactions) I went back 1-2 years and reconciled step-by-step and in that dialog identification of duplicates was easier than scrolling through the register. From there I cleared the download flag on all duplicates, went to the reporting function and was able to delete all in the date range with a blank download status. Tedious, but it worked.

I don't know how Quicken keeps track of downloaded transactions but it seems they could match date and amount, if not payee as well, to identify duplicates and let you select multiple entries in the download list for deletion.

Still looking for a better way.
  • Some problem: when the new "improvements" were implemented this week all of my securities accounts resynchronized with my brokerage firm resulting in 100s of downloaded transactions. Please tell me I don't have to delete them one by one....
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    HI @mhymowitz,

Sorry to hear that you are having this issue.  I assume that you are dealing with the aftermath of the Schwab changes...

If so I suggest that you review some of the other recent message threads (search on "Schwab"), because others have made comments on things that have made the process easier.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.